Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New bike time

Total Downloaded

Re: New bike time

Hmm -not sure what happened with the double post....

You could be right re: the second hand option - now let's open ebay and check-out the used M8's

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    412.0 KB

Best wait ‘till they’re well sorted!

Total Downloaded
    8.56 MB

Do you know what you want yet? Heritage sounds the most relevant to your requirements.

Surely you just pick a bike and spec and play off 2 - 3 dealers against one another for the best price?

Treat the exercise the same as buying a car from a dealer.

If you are buying on finance (PCP), ask what the 'dealer contribution' is to the vehicle. If you are buying the bike outright, I would expect the cash discount to match the dealer contribution (at the least). You can also negotiate on parts & labour.

If you want a new HD (M8), are you sure it will need performance work etc? Surely you would be better off buying the bike, then modding the engine after the warranty has expired. Alex at Fast Lane was posting on this topic on here recently.

Personally, I'd buy an Evo heritage and get it modified to my taste, it would cost less and you would make your money back.
    South East London.
    Click here for 'things'.

Total Downloaded
    46.12 MB

I'd be giving the Blade group (oxford & cheltenham HD) a very wide berth. Dealership razamatazz with dream deliverers not salesmen enough to put you off the brand for life.

Total Downloaded
    1.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-UK View Post
    I've just sold my Twin Cam Road King which I did 20k miles on during the last couple of years - I'm only saying that because I did all my own maint (including cams and hydraulic cam chain tensioners upgrade) - so I definitely prefer to do my own work on my bikes. The problem with that with a new bike is the warranty - I believe it would be void if I installed the cam myself and did the routine maint?
    So what Guildford have told me about doing your own work on a new M8 and Warranty is that it's fine to to your own servicing, and other work on the bike. However - if you go into the engine or transmission by yourself or use non-HD parts, then the powertrain warranty will be void. You CAN have an independent (and HD Certified) shop or mechanic do the work with HD parts and keep the warranty though.

I had GHD do my cam install for this reason - and it was also the only reason I got an HD cam. 5 hours labour to do it.

Good luck with choosing a bike. The new M8 Softails are very nice.

Total Downloaded
    499.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by adm View Post
    So what Guildford have told me about doing your own work on a new M8 and Warranty is that it's fine to to your own servicing, and other work on the bike. However - if you go into the engine or transmission by yourself or use non-HD parts, then the powertrain warranty will be void. You CAN have an independent (and HD Certified) shop or mechanic do the work with HD parts and keep the warranty though.
    Having been down the Warranty route with all three HD bikes (Sportster and two Twin Cams) I have owned, my personal experience is........every dealer will look for any possible wriggle angle not to assist on Warranty claims during the initial 24 months and if you did not buy the bike from them initially it's even harder to get things sorted.

If you want to minimise this wriggling, get the same dealer you purchased the bike from to service it in the initial 24 month Warranty period if buying new and also get them to do any mods. If something goes wrong they have no room to wriggle.

Every dealer appears to be set up that they ultimately make the decision on weather your claim is valid and worthy, so a relationship is worth it's weight in Gold should you ever need to make a claim. After the initial 24 months you can do what you like......unless you buy an extended Warranty.

Frankly with the M8 issues that have come to light since release to market I would not give them any opportunity to wriggle out of their obligations to support a Warranty claim suggesting things like the exhaust is fitted incorrectly, the mapping is wrong etc..etc...
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded

Thanks for all of your comments - very helpful!

I'm going a arrange a test ride on either a Low Rider or Street Bob and go from there. I have one of those extra large Deemeed bags so I only need a sissy bar and rack and I'm sorted for luggage.

I'll keep you posted.

BTW - I finished the Buell winter upgrade project today (new oil pump drive, upgraded primary tensioner, stainless fasteners etc) and it's back in one piece and on the road again. Took it for a blast this morning and it still brings a huge smile to my face

Total Downloaded

Okay - quick update. I went to my closest HD dealer on Sat (Oxford) and took a Sport Glide out for a test ride with my brother on a Yamaha XSR 900 and a mate on a Triumph Rocket 3. I probably rode it for around 30 - 40 miles through towns and fast A roads - so a pretty good mix..

Initial thoughts - this is damned easy to ride and actually pretty quick..

The marketing blurb is fairly accurate - it is a massive step forward - or at least it seemed it to me from my Stage 2 04 Road King. There is hardly any vibration, and the step up in power/torque is very noticeable. The brakes worked really well (I was surprised at how good the single front disc on the front actually was) and the handling was really good - I could see the Triumph Rocket in the mirrors getting well out of shape going through some bumpy twisties - but the Harley was very stable and absorbed the bumps without any issues. So far so good...

Downsides - seat - too hard, the screen didn't deflect much wind (you can get a taller screen) and the panniers look a bit cheap. Other than that it's a very accomplished package.

Would I fork out my cash for one - hmm I'm not sure... As the question I kept asking myself was where has all the character gone? I couldn't figure out if the lack of character was just simply the lack of noise (as the exhaust is goddamned quiet) or if it was something more fundamental or if I just needed to put more miles on one. It was so easy to ride and everything just worked without a second thought - some people have mentioned that they seemed Japanese because of this and I now understand what they were talking about.

Riding the Road King or indeed the Buell requires you to adopt a complete mindset focused on riding that particular bike - you could just jump on a new Softail and ride off without giving it a thought - and you would have to keep looking at the badge on the tank to remind you that you were riding a Harley. Now I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing - Harley have obviously put a lot of effort into the development of these bikes and they should appeal to a whole new section of the market.

For my personal taste I think the Street Bob will be the best best as I like the stripped down look and with the money saved I can buy some (non-screaming eagle) parts to make it my own.

Anyway that's the latest - pics below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180512_143755.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	30536

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180512_143813.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	30535