Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New bike Softail Slim....?

Total Downloaded

New bike Softail Slim....?

Hi all.

I been smitten by the new 2018 Softail Slim after being forced to test ride one when I took my 48er in for a service, which I now want to sell, so if anyone is after one, give me a howler for details. However after reading all the issues on the new M8 engine I’m having second thoughts.... Do you all think the problems are super common for more of an isolated issue? Still really want one though..... ????

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB

Re: New bike Softail Slim....?

I really like the Softail Slim - great looking bike, but to be honest I prefer the older model with the twin cam 103 or 110 motors. The finish and detail is better and the engine proven for its reliability, unlike the new motor, which is likely to have a few post production gremlins.That said - if I was smitten with the new model I'd buy with my heart not my head!

Total Downloaded
    334.6 KB

There's a reason why I choose not to test-ride modern H-Ds and you've just illustrated it - I know I'd be impressed with their attributes and then become unhappy with what I've got. Just say 'No'!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Do you all think the problems are super common for more of an isolated issue?
    That's such a tricky question to answer, as so many H-Ds cover very limited annual mileages - meaning that problems can be slow to occur and, when they do, this will often be after the warranty expires. Your current obsession won't last - wait for a while and then make a well-considered decision.

Total Downloaded

Hi all.

I been smitten by the new 2018 Softail Slim after being forced to test ride one when I took my 48er in for a service, which I now want to sell, so if anyone is after one, give me a howler for details. However after reading all the issues on the new M8 engine I’m having second thoughts.... Do you all think the problems are super common for more of an isolated issue? Still really want one though..... ????
    well ive had most of the engines since the EVO and yes there maybe issues with the M8 just like every other motor that gets released and the horror story's will always appear and there were plenty about the twin cam but I loved the twin cam but up to now my M8 is quick and has great character with no apparent faults so fingers crossed for the future

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Do you all think the problems are super common for more of an isolated issue?
    It doesn't matter. There are issues with these engines and even if they are isolated and you have one then you have problems. I personally would wait a couple of years ...

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

I'm watching closely, and have been for well over a year, because (shock, horror) I want a M8 next year. I figured it's about time I owned something with no kickstart, a final belt drive and more than four gears ha ha ha ha.....

I'm not at all cynical about these new motors. I like the simplicity of the return to single cam, and the four valves.

I like the reported mountains of torque and ''decent'' performance straight out of the box. I am not looking to do burnouts or 135mph. I like the moving of the cat away from the head pipe.

What I have gleaned so far is that:

1/ as ever, new first-year-of-new-engine models are a luxury you may not wish to afford
    2/ the issues of oil migration to primary occur in motors regularly run at high rpms, way beyond what I would usually go near on a Harley; and the oil pump has been slightly redesigned a couple of times already
    3/ some people are claiming leakdown issues in the valve seats. Watch that space
    4/ some dissatisfied owners
    5/ many satisfied owners, with 30-40,000 miles and up, having no issues

I am certain that a lot of owners of 1999/2000 Twin Cams have had scores of thousands of trouble-free miles, despite what we all ''know'' off the internet.

Weren't people circa 1985 claiming the Evo was a dud due to base gasket leaks? LOL

I reckon a 2019-2020 model will be just about right.

Total Downloaded

very true Dave twin cams. evo engines I wouldn't be surprised if the old knuckle or pan was slated in its day. anyway if you fancy something then you should go out and get it coz we aint here long enough to wait about for perfection

Total Downloaded

JFDI

Total Downloaded

You guys put forward a very persuasive argument... Sod it, gonna twist the throttle on this one....

Now who wants to buy my 2014 Sportster 48 so I can go buy my new Milwaukee-8!? ????????
    Last edited by Poseidon; 11-05-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Total Downloaded

You guys put forward a very persuasive argument... Sod it, gonna twist the throttle on this one....

Now who wants to buy my 2014 Sportster 48 so I can go buy my new Milwaukee-8!? ????????
    good Man you buy what ya fancy, ive just been kicking about local for the last couple of weeks i.e. the Lake District put a thousand mile on in 3 weeks and its getting better, future plans include headers without the cat and slip ons along with a Power vision tuner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast