Thread: WLC Forks

Total Downloaded

WLC Forks

Just seen these on Ebay, not a bad price. Does anyone have any experience of dealing with this company/any opinions on these forks?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-S...UAAOSwpqRay9w6

Thanks,

Rod

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    241.17 MB

Re: WLC Forks

Looking the ad over carefully I note a physical address; something not usually seen (on stateside ads anyway). If time and distance are no object, I would arrange a meet-n-greet before dropping big bills. A contact #, always a good thing. Return policy seems standard+.
    I should want to know prior to purchase if the stem is pressed or welded or key-locked in.
    As a mild critic, better pics of (from the side) rockers and caliper tab(s) would be nice, spindle widths and the little details would be better than half a page of them saying how great they are.
    Judgement: If the £'s are right it seems a safe bet.

edit: one other thing; service parts questions. If something wears out or breaks, is there repl. parts back-up? Would original or after mkt. parts adapt?
    Last edited by last shovel; 13-05-2018 at 02:57 PM.

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by last shovel View Post
    Looking the ad over carefully I note a physical address; something not usually seen (on stateside ads anyway). If time and distance are no object, I would arrange a meet-n-greet before dropping big bills. A contact #, always a good thing. Return policy seems standard+.
    I should want to know prior to purchase if the stem is pressed or welded or key-locked in.
    As a mild critic, better pics of (from the side) rockers and caliper tab(s) would be nice, spindle widths and the little details would be better than half a page of them saying how great they are.
    Judgement: If the £'s are right it seems a safe bet.

edit: one other thing; service parts questions. If something wears out or breaks, is there repl. parts back-up? Would original or after mkt. parts adapt?

Thanks for the advice, sorry about the late reply I just got back from the Indian rally at Tony Leenes, great party as usual. I've decided to email them some questions and gauge their response. I am right in saying the pressed them is preferable?

Cheers,
    Rod

Total Downloaded
    241.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by El Hombre View Post
    Thanks...................... I am right in saying the pressed them is preferable?

Cheers,
    Rod

Without making a dissertation of this then;
    The country of origin may play a role in the ultimate quality.
    What type and grade of materials were used to build it?
    A likely guess is that the upper & lower yokes (that the legs are welded into *) are a forging instead of a casting. But maybe not.
    Weld -vs- pressed: Simply, if the stem was welded in, was it stressed relieved? Stress-relief in a welded structural member often requires heat-treating to alleviate residual stresses, as a method of hardness control, to enhance material strength (or return the material to original strength, i.e. remove brittleness that can lead to cracking). Heat-treating must be done with care; which is sometimes an issue when considering the country-of-origin.
    A pressed in stem removes the necessity of all the forgoing as well as the expense of doing so.

Un-abashed rivet-counter that I am, I would pose questions like, 'On the rockers, do they run in bushings or bearings'. You might ask if there is a 'detailed illustrated parts list' to go along with the installation instructions

Hope this helps Rod. Post up a pic when you get it sorted to the 'all grins' stage.

edit: * technically this might classified as a high-temp braising rather than a weld, come to think of it.

5-15 edit: now I'm wound up proper. I went looking for things about the manufacturing of the [H-D] springer. I was hoping to find something about H-D's development and, particularly the change over from I-beam to tube on the rear legs
    There's this,
    https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/201...m-destruction/
    but the f/e's mentioned are too early. The drawings double-click to a nice size tho (think screen-saver).

And this,
    http://www.chopperhandbook.com/springbuild.htm
    A nifty little treatise on how to build your own springer from the raw materials starting point. The info provided down to the Fig.8 was informative to me concerning the how's of springer ops.
    Last edited by last shovel; 15-05-2018 at 04:31 PM.

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded

I've got the willies now! Might have to settle for just buying them. The thing is if I get a set from Larry at 45 parts I am pretty sure they are authentic repro and made in Europe. Only down side is the price at about 400 euros more. I was going to order a set ages ago, but hung it out for genuine and now it's getting too late.

Rod

Total Downloaded

By the time you pay import tax and shipping you could probably get a set from W&W or storehouse. No issues or worries and if they wrong you can take them back

Total Downloaded
    112.81 MB

Single most important question, is the product branded? If not why not. Its more important who makes it rather than who sell it. I do not recognise the brand "black crow"

Here is my favorite site for all things dodgy.

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...er+fork+harley
    Last edited by Gizmo; 16-05-2018 at 09:55 PM.
    Instant experts...... just add google.

Total Downloaded
    241.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Single most important question, is the product branded? If not why not. Its more important who makes it rather than who sell it. I do not recognise the brand "black crow"

Here is my favorite site for all things dodgy.

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...er+fork+harley

I could find nothing at all on this brand 'black crow' either.

Me, "The country of origin may play a role in the ultimate quality."

I think Gizmo may have train-spotted them for you?

Total Downloaded

Well, that's the end of that. I'm not paying WW prices or the other lot. I had a surge of enthusiasm for the 45, now I'm going to wait and focus on the Shovel instead. The 45 can stay in the lounge for a bit longer.

Rod