Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: French Motoring Laws

Total Downloaded

French Motoring Laws

I'm planning on a little trip to France on Friday for the weekend and understand that you are required by law to carry documentation (driving licence, passport, V5, insurance, MOT cert) as well as a high viz jacket, 2 x breathalyser test kits, spare bulbs, have a GB sticker (goodness knows where!).... oh and some bull about reflective stickers!

So, given that I can sort that lot out has anyone had any experience with the French police, known for their charm and love of the English, when it comes to short shot pipes and noise limits? I only ask because of the occasional bit of hassle over here and I would hate to get clobbered over there if there is some law that I am unaware of.

Thanks as always for the advice.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    58.82 MB

Re: French Motoring Laws

Never had any grief from the law.
    There too lazy to hassle you.
    Dont ride like a loony, and you will be fine.

You will need doccuments. High viz only incase of breakdown.
    If you dont have the breath kit, there isnt a fine for not having it. So dont bother. Spare bulbs is just common sense.
    Some bikes have GB sticker, some dont.
    Not heard of anyone getting greif for not having it.

The average french plod is lazier than a uk teenager.
    So as ive said, dont act like barry sheene and you will be fine.
    Last edited by Halal Tim; 15-05-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Total Downloaded
    499.41 MB

This is quite a handy page to read - http://www.tour1.co/wp-content/uploa...ng-Laws-v2.pdf
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    334.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Halal Tim View Post
    Dont ride like a loony, and you will be fine.
    Best advice! They seem to be hot on speeding, but stick to the limits and you'll be left alone.

Total Downloaded
    17.52 MB

Fook it, I think I'll just tour the UK in future.
    Coasters Assistant Rep

Total Downloaded
    93.34 MB

Dunno how true it is but I was told at the weekend that the reflective stickers weren't enforced on foreign riders lids. As long as your lid is legal where you're from you're good. My last helmet came with some which are still lying about the garage so I might bung them on anyway. Six weeks on Thursda, woohoo!
    Region 3, North East, Tyne & Wear

Total Downloaded
    19.63 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
    I'm planning on a little trip to France on Friday for the weekend and understand that you are required by law to carry documentation (driving licence, passport, V5, insurance, MOT cert) as well as a high viz jacket, 2 x breathalyser test kits, spare bulbs, have a GB sticker (goodness knows where!).... oh and some bull about reflective stickers!

So, given that I can sort that lot out has anyone had any experience with the French police, known for their charm and love of the English, when it comes to short shot pipes and noise limits? I only ask because of the occasional bit of hassle over here and I would hate to get clobbered over there if there is some law that I am unaware of.

Thanks as always for the advice.
    I’ve had dealings with French police on 3 occasions
    All positive . The last time my son was on his bike and had a severe back spasm
    The police found him and took him to hospital also one rode his bike to the nearest station yard.
    When we had finished at Hospital and he was ok to ride they picked us up and took us to his bike .
    My advice is if you behave like a dick they will treat you like one.
    I always keep to speed limit in towns and villages but outside don’t bother as much.
    Bikers are treated differently in Europe better than here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total Downloaded
    38.02 MB

One thing I will add.... if you have extremely loud pipes don't demonstrate the fact too much in built-up areas. It's not considered good form.

Have to say I've never had any issues with the French police,in fact you rarely see them, and when Demelza had her spill in 2012 (thankfully only bruised and shaken) the emergency services were exemplary.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    29.27 MB

Filtering through traffic is illegal apparently - unlike here!

Total Downloaded
    10.85 MB

Just remembered my first trip to Italy on the FLH with a mate in 1982, we got stopped in a frog speed trap. Mate spoke good french but we wisely decided to act dumb (yes Rog, that is my default setting...) but he came back from his car with a big book cut like those childrens books (where you can turn part pages to have a policeman with a nurses body on a firemans legs etc) which had all the offenses in all the languages!! We continued to act dumb so he began to explain with my speedo but was confused by HDs fashion for large single digits (2,4, 6, 8 etc). This delayed him enough for another victim to arrive so he just got rid of us!
    That book was quite a fright though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast