Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: French Motoring Laws

Total Downloaded
    29.27 MB

Re: French Motoring Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    Just remembered my first trip to Italy on the FLH with a mate in 1982, we got stopped in a frog speed trap. Mate spoke good french but we wisely decided to act dumb (yes Rog, that is my default setting...) but he came back from his car with a big book cut like those childrens books (where you can turn part pages to have a policeman with a nurses body on a firemans legs etc) which had all the offenses in all the languages!! We continued to act dumb so he began to explain with my speedo but was confused by HDs fashion for large single digits (2,4, 6, 8 etc). This delayed him enough for another victim to arrive so he just got rid of us!That book was quite a fright though...
    A policeman with a nurse's body and fireman's legs is enough to frighten anybody Paul!

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    10.85 MB

Yeah,...I regret that blind date.

Total Downloaded
    54.72 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
    I'm planning on a little trip to France on Friday for the weekend and understand that you are required by law to carry documentation (driving licence, passport, V5, insurance, MOT cert) as well as a high viz jacket, 2 x breathalyser test kits, spare bulbs, have a GB sticker (goodness knows where!).... oh and some bull about reflective stickers!

So, given that I can sort that lot out has anyone had any experience with the French police, known for their charm and love of the English, when it comes to short shot pipes and noise limits? I only ask because of the occasional bit of hassle over here and I would hate to get clobbered over there if there is some law that I am unaware of.

Thanks as always for the advice.
    I have driven many miles all over France and I haven't noticed anyone with reflective stickers on their helmets. I've heard plenty of loud pipes. Filtering is illegal but not it seems around Paris. The bikers there are all certifiably nuts.
    I think they are keen on hi vis jackets and warning triangles. The breathaliser never made it into law so dont bother with it.
    Take all your documentation and download an accident form as well (http://european-accident-statement.a...-Report_FR.php). If you have a prang over there you may get a form shoved in your face, all in French, detailing what happened. Best to have your own version, but it isn't compulsary so just refuse to sign if in doubt. You would need to double check that.
    French police seem to play hunt the speeding Anglais close to Calais but get more relaxed the further south you go. As others have said, if you dont draw attention to yourself you'll be fine. If you get caught for christs sake be polite and act dumb. With a bit of luck you'll be too much trouble to process.

Total Downloaded
    10.85 MB

By the way, you should all check Rowdy's thread in the Touring section on new french speed limits....

Total Downloaded

Evening All!

Just to say a huge "thanks" to everyone for the info and links and to say that I had a trouble free trip.

In the end I thought it better to err on the side of caution so bought the breathalyser kit even though it's not a legal requirement; I did this on the basis of what my pal had told me about 'grey areas' and some over zealous police he'd come across. I took the high viz jacket and documents because they're a requirement and the bulbs are, as someone else mentioned, common sense and a legal requirement too. I had it confirmed that, as per Qunitin's reply, the skidlid stickers aren't a legal requirement and as I wasn't prepared to mess my lid up I didn't bother with those. The only thing I'd mention relates to the new 'environmental' laws relating to Crit Air stickers - there's a helpful link from the RAC http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/moto...french-cities/

Total Downloaded
    123.16 MB

In response to french motoring nonsense laws i have found many ways into sunny climes avoiding france altogether!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12