Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gearbox oil leaked into primary case??

Total Downloaded
    12.10 MB

Gearbox oil leaked into primary case??

Hi,
    Took my 2016 103 RoadGlide in for its 15K service today and got a call that the oil seal between gearbox and primary chaincase has gone. The primary was flooded / overfull.
    Is this an unusual failure for such low mileage?
    Its gonna cost a small fortune to strip and repair and I'm worried if it could have hurt the gearbox if that was running low on oil, or the clutch if that was overfull?
    Has anyone else heard of this or suffered this oil seal failure?

I'm leaving for St Tropez Eurofest in 13 days and they cannot fit in my repair until next Monday (Bank Holiday Monday) so I'm uneasy that they might find something bigger once they start to strip it and might run out of time?

Any thoughts
    Paul

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Re: Gearbox oil leaked into primary case??

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut ysl View Post
    the oil seal between gearbox and primary chaincase has gone l
    I'd be asking questions about this as there isn't a seal between the transmission and the primary side. If you overfill the transmission then the oil can pass into the primary cavity through the hollow main shaft which has a seal on both the primary and the transmission side. Either of these seals can leak which will be evident by one of the two types of fluid dripping from the seal and onto the ground below. Sounds like the transmission has been overfilled to me which poses no risk as it will only drain into the primary until the level is normal. I'd get underneath it and clean everywhere around the drive pulley area with brake cleaner then ride it and have another look. Any leak will be obvious. Traditional transmission fluid stinks but if it's been dealer serviced it will have Syn3 in the transmission which doesn't smell so it will be harder to distinguish between that and the Formula+ that they use in the primary. Neither should stop the ride to France, just take some of whichever fluid is leaking with you and top up as needed then have the seal replaced when you get back. If it's the primary seal then it's no big deal to replace, the transmission seal is more complex.

Total Downloaded
    12.10 MB

Hi Alex,
    Thats very intersting, there is no external leak anywhere, its as clean as a whistle.
    The technician said as soon as he opened the derby cover the oil came gushing out, that is the only clue I have to go on. I have had all fluids as Sync3 so it wouldn't be possible to tell which was which.
    They've told me the primary needs removing along with the clutch and compensator to getto this seal and the guy has done dozens of them.
    I have been getting a clattering noise from the transmission area on the overrun when slowing down but assumed this was just the primary chain being slightly slack, otherwise its been running perfectly.
    Could you just clarify for me, if the gearbox is leaking into the primary does it need a seal replacing or would this only happen if the gearbox was overfilled?
    Thank you
    Paul.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Could you just clarify for me, if the gearbox is leaking into the primary does it need a seal replacing or would this only happen if the gearbox was overfilled?
    Interesting - the guy has done dozens of them? Wonder if he would supply a part number of the seal then I could learn something. The only fluid path between the transmission and the primary cavity is the hollow main shaft where the clutch actuating pushrod sits. At normal levels the transmission fluid should be below the end of the shaft within the transmission case so it cannot enter. If the transmission is overfilled then the fluid can pass through the shaft into the primary side. Unless there's been some change that I haven't come across there's no seal anywhere along the length of the pushrod. I just checked the Jersey website which appears to confirm the same ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	touring-2016-part-2-2.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	30571

Total Downloaded
    81.40 MB

Doesnt the M8 have this issue?

Total Downloaded
    12.10 MB

Thank you for that,
    I will give them a call tomorrow and try to get to the bottom of this, they have my bike at the dealership and are keeping it until next week when they can fit it in. I must admit I did find it rather strange that they would open the derby cover before opening the drain plug when doing a routine service.
    I'll have to be diplomatic as they are nice people but I'll ask for the actual part number that they think is the cause.
    You've been a graet help Alex, thank you.
    Watch this space :-)

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Halal Tim View Post
    Doesnt the M8 have this issue?
    Yes ...

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

I must admit I did find it rather strange that they would open the derby cover before opening the drain plug when doing a routine service.
    Hmmmmm. Looking forward to the outcome of this one ...

Total Downloaded
    29.27 MB

If it's a 2016 is it not covered under H-D's two year warranty anyway?

Total Downloaded
    12.10 MB

Quote Originally Posted by wilkyman View Post
    If it's a 2016 is it not covered under H-D's two year warranty anyway?
    I know that, as I said in my original post its going to cost me a small fortune!!
    We're trying to get to the bottom of it to see if it actually does needs doing?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast