Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox oil leaked into primary case??

Total Downloaded
    12.10 MB

Re: Gearbox oil leaked into primary case??

ok, I've found the document TA0022 and after reading it that miight explain why the derby cover was removed before the drain plug, they must have been suspecting something and looking for it.
    Alex does this seal sound right to you now?
    I guess I have no chance of a warranty claim as I've passed the 2 years :-(

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    12.10 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Maybe your model is on the TA0022 list from Harley...see attached...Attachment 30579
    Thank you posting this, I think I'm feeling a bit happier now as it does sound like they are on the right track. I've been worried that they may have mis-diagnoised the fault and I might have the problem reoccur on my road trip later next week.
    This could be one of those times an extended warranty might have paid off!

Total Downloaded
    12.10 MB

It sounds like something changed when it went over to the Rushmore model, maybe the Hydraulic clutch?Anyway, I'm now considering NOT having this mod done, just having the 15K service using all Sync3 oil and then monitoring how it goes on my 2,500 mile road trip and topping the gearbox up is necessary. When I get home I'll have a better idea how much or how little this fluid transfer is and whether I need it "fixed" at all?What's the worse that can happen, I'll be doing less than 300 miles a day, if I check it every day, top up what may have moved and if it gets a little too much then I open the Derby cover and drain some of the excess out of the Primary?Saves me a few hundred pounds right when I don't need to be spending it and maybe consider changing models when I get home. The good old Sportster is a tried and trusted model with no recent "improvements" and sounding more attractive by the day.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Doughnut ysl View Post
    ok, I've found the document TA0022 and after reading it that might explain why the derby cover was removed before the drain plug, they must have been suspecting something and looking for it.
    Doesn't make any sense to me. Suspecting what? The bike is sitting there with no external leaks so why would they think that your primary was overfilled and not every other bike in the shop?

Alex does this seal sound right to you now?
    TA0022 doesn't sound right never mind the seal. It says that the transmission fluid is transferring into the primary. They then say that the sprocket shaft seal (12068) is to be changed - eh? The sprocket shaft seal ensures that engine oil stays in the crankcase and out of the primary. Nothing whatsoever to do with the transmission fluid that they've already said is transferring.

Let's look over this thread. Initially you said that they told you 'the oil seal between gearbox and primary chaincase has gone. The primary was flooded / overfull'. You thought that it was going to cost a small fortune to strip and repair. I then said that there is no such seal and I asked for a part number which you said you would ask for. You still haven't said what happened when you asked for the part number. Then they said it's coming from 'the 6th gear shaft oil seal.' which is BS as again there is no such thing. By then I'd seen enough and suggested that you get your bike out of there ASAP. Then comes the TA0022 which contradicts itself and means nothing but an admission that there is a fluid transfer occurring between the transmission and the primary.

Then today's post ...

Anyway, I'm now considering NOT having this mod done
    Which mod - the suggestion in TA0022 to replace the crankcase seal in order to stop fluid getting into the primary from the transmission?

monitoring how it goes on my 2,500 mile road trip and topping the gearbox up is necessary. When I get home I'll have a better idea how much or how little this fluid transfer is and whether I need it "fixed" at all?What's the worse that can happen, I'll be doing less than 300 miles a day, if I check it every day, top up what may have moved and if it gets a little too much then I open the Derby cover and drain some of the excess out of the Primary?
    That's what I suggested in the first reply.

There is no 6th gear shaft, there is no seal and TA0022 is meaningless.

Just get your bike back, drain all fluids then fill them to the correct level then ride it for a few days ar a week or whatever. Stop and check the level in each cavity. If the primary is full then it has to be coming from either the transmission through the mainshaft or the crankcase through the sprocket shaft seal. Once the problem (if there is one) is identified then you can move on to fixing it.

It really is that simple.
    Last edited by Fast Lane; 25-05-2018 at 02:09 PM.

Total Downloaded
    12.10 MB

Your right Alex, it just makes so much sense when you put it like that :-)
    I've been on a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions this week, after all it is my pride and joy and I just want to ride it without worrying.
    I didn't get an answer about the part No, but to be fair the Service advisor who is supposed to be doing this work on Monday is on holiday this week (hence they couldn't do it any earlier) and I have been talking to the team co-ordinator who has been doing his best to advise me, but probably hasn't the knowledge or the right discription of the bits and so we've both been left in the dark.
    I'm going to do as you suggest, bite the bulliet and get it back where I can monitor it myself and regain control. The one thing I would say though is that if there is a known problem with these bikes then the only way they could tell if a bike is suffering from it, or not, would be to remove the Derby before drainning and then seeing if it is over full or not! If they drained the oils first they'd never know. Thats the only bit that does make sense :-)
    Anyway, I'm sure you are all bored with this thread by now but I will let you know what I find after my trip and as the miles clock up and any levels do or don't change.
    Thank you for your patience and advice.

Total Downloaded
    20.38 MB

Good luck with the bike and have a good trip.
    Time is precious, waste it wisely.

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

I'm sure you are all bored with this thread by now
    I'm not bored at all! I think it's good to watch such things being worked through and addressed by someone without the emotional attachment an owner has that can cloud judgment.
    Well done Alex, I say.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

The one thing I would say though is that if there is a known problem with these bikes then the only way they could tell if a bike is suffering from it, or not, would be to remove the Derby before drainning and then seeing if it is over full or not! If they drained the oils first they'd never know. Thats the only bit that does make sense :-)
    Not to me it doesn't I'm afraid. I've never ridden anything with the primary that full but I'm sure the gear change and neutral engagement would become more difficult and that would be the first symptom. Then it would be time to check the primary fluid level. Otherwise there's no reason to pull the derby cover until it's being filled.

I will let you know what I find after my trip and as the miles clock up and any levels do or don't change.
    Yes - do let us know the outcome. Out of all the TC motors I've tinkered with over the years I've never once known the crankcase seal to leak engine oil into the primary. The sprocket shaft diameter has never changed and the seal recess in the left crankcase casting has never changed. Maybe HD used a cheaper supplier of seals for the affected years. If that's the source of your problem then it's the first of it's kind I've ever heard of. If you've never experienced any change in the feel of the gear and neutral selection then what are they saying? The transmission fluid has only just started to transfer after 15000 trouble free miles?. I doubt that.

It's time for you to turn your back on that shop and find somewhere else to service your bike.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Hector H Taylor View Post
    Well done Alex, I say.
    Thanks - just trying stop the bloke being robbed!

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Hector H Taylor View Post
    I'm not bored at all! I think it's good to watch such things being worked through and addressed by someone without the emotional attachment an owner has that can cloud judgment.
    Well done Alex, I say.
    your right Andy its not a boring thread and its always good receiving good constructive input by experienced people like Alex, many of us work on bikes but not to the extent that reputable companies do, Alex highlighted this issue of the oil migrating into the primary that has affected some M8s I need to check my CVO I ride it hard and I noticed that the box had decided to stay in 4th when hot so I checked the gearbox level and it wasn't even on the dip ive filled it to the required level and i'm due to check it so fingers crossed that it wasn't correctly filled at the dealership, if the level has once again dropped then the Darby cover shall be slackened off and the uninvited oil drained.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast