Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metric owner seriously considering a Harley TC

Total Downloaded

Re: Metric owner seriously considering a Harley TC

So after some extensive reading from various Harley forums I just can't come to terms with the high cost and poor reliability.

This site was a big insight:

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...buyharley.html

As well as this thread:

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...reyoubuyharley

From UKkid:

He's right in every thing he says....

I bought my 2003 Road King and in the 87000 miles I've covered everything he says has happened to me, If I thought that Harley Davidson was such a shit bike I would never ave bought one......

I didn't read all of what he said, did he mention the spoked wheels that were "Made in Italy"

My bike has had to have;

crank position censer, 2 sets of hydraulic lifters, two sets of cam chain and oil pumps replaced, a new crank shaft complete which cost me a packet I had it balanced and welded, (well Phill at Fatzboysdiner did the work) machine work carried out on a collapsed inner can bearing (again at Phills), replacement chrome on many parts, replacement wheels, two drive belts and pulleys, all original cables failed, a new alternator, head stock bearings swinging arm bushes fork seals and bushes all new wheel bearings and the list goes on and on..........

I would never recommend anyone buy one, I see lots on ebay 03 models with less that 10k on the clock, there just waiting to fall apart.........

And to cap it all off it is shit in the corners as they described and is definitely unstable over 90mph...........

To say I'm pissed off is an understatement......

I know thats just one members experience, but the issues of cranks coming out of true and endless stories of engines detonating for one reason or another on relatively low mileage (I wouldn't consider anything below 75000 as particularly high) its just too much to ignore. Compared to the UK and US forums for the bike I own, the technical sub forums are pretty much a ghost town and at worst are minor things like the odd worn wheel bearing or stator.
    I'm going to keep my bike a little longer and look into getting a bigger engined 'metric'. Maybe a Harley in 10 years when the M8 issues are fixed.
    Thanks for the advice.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

Re: Metric owner seriously considering a Harley TC

So after some extensive reading from various Harley forums I just can't come to terms with the high cost and poor reliability.

The article, 'before you buy a harley' was eye opening, as well as this post on a thread on this forum:

From UKkid:

He's right in every thing he says....

I bought my 2003 Road King and in the 87000 miles I've covered everything he says has happened to me, If I thought that Harley Davidson was such a shit bike I would never ave bought one......

I didn't read all of what he said, did he mention the spoked wheels that were "Made in Italy"

My bike has had to have;

crank position censer, 2 sets of hydraulic lifters, two sets of cam chain and oil pumps replaced, a new crank shaft complete which cost me a packet I had it balanced and welded, (well Phill at Fatzboysdiner did the work) machine work carried out on a collapsed inner can bearing (again at Phills), replacement chrome on many parts, replacement wheels, two drive belts and pulleys, all original cables failed, a new alternator, head stock bearings swinging arm bushes fork seals and bushes all new wheel bearings and the list goes on and on..........

I would never recommend anyone buy one, I see lots on ebay 03 models with less that 10k on the clock, there just waiting to fall apart.........

And to cap it all off it is shit in the corners as they described and is definitely unstable over 90mph...........

To say I'm pissed off is an understatement......

I know thats just one members experience, but the issues of cranks coming out of true and endless stories of engines detonating for one reason or another on relatively low mileage (I wouldn't consider anything below 75000 as particularly high) its just too much to ignore. Compared to the UK and US forums for the bike I own, the technical sub forums are pretty much a ghost town and at worst are minor things like the odd worn wheel bearing or stator.
    I'm going to keep my bike a little longer and look into getting a bigger engined 'metric'. Maybe a Harley in 10 years when the M8 issues are fixed.
    Thanks for the advice.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12