Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Exhaust?

Total Downloaded

Which Exhaust?

I currently have V & H Big shot longs on my 2014 Heritage Softail. I have Andrews 57 H cams, Arlen Ness big sucker and an FP3. Comments are becoming increnasingly common about how loud the exhaust is. I’ve just downloaded a decibel meter on my phone, and at tickover it’s averaging 107db, which is a bit high and leaving me open to meeting one of her Majesty’s finest (if there are any left patrolling the streets). I’ll be taking the bike up to Alex at Fastlane in a month or so, but if I’m going to change the exhaust, I’ll need to do it before then so that it can get dyno’d correctly. So, any ideas for a quieter (slightly) exhaust, which will still be ok for tuning. I am not averse to slip ons.....

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    113.59 MB

Re: Which Exhaust?

Had V&H short shots with baffles on my Fatboy. Replaced them with Screaming Eagle II slip-ons a while back. Still quite loud but much more acceptable than the V&H pipes.
    There are two kinds of people in this world
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Total Downloaded
    518.31 MB

Have you tried the V&H Decibel Killers or the V&H Super Q Baffles?

Good comparison from stock HERE

These may reduce the noise to a more acceptable level and perhaps ad a little back pressure.

Alternatively, exhausts are always a personal compromise between looks and noise.

If you go onto YouTube, there are thousands of clips demonstrating exhausts fitted to Harleys and V&H have a load of clips on their site too.
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded

Wouldent it be a good idea to ask Alex? If he’s going to do some “upgrades” for u ?
    OMG it started !!!!!

Total Downloaded

I'm seriously looking at TAB Performance they supply 3 different bolt in baffles from raising the dead loud to is that ok Mr Plod quite and the quality looks pretty good

Total Downloaded

mines got a big bore kit lumpy cams and the best exhaust on the dyno supertrapp super meg with 15 discs and open end cap huge tourque curve and roars when i give it the berries fit it you wont be sorry and the plod will ignore you as you burble by....

Total Downloaded

The engine is also a bit lumpy on tickover, and that'll be due to the Andrews cams I should think. But once it's past tickover, the bike flies. It's going to Alex to have the street port plus, lifters, rocker lockers and Power Vision tune/dyno done. I put a decibel checker app on my phone yesterday just to get some idea of the noise volume, and it's 107db at tickover rising to 112db when I rev it 'gently' !! . The exhaust didn't seem as loud before I fitted the cams, but it's to be expected?

Total Downloaded
    518.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by badgerbill View Post
    The engine is also a bit lumpy on tickover, and that'll be due to the Andrews cams I should think. But once it's past tickover, the bike flies. It's going to Alex to have the street port plus, lifters, rocker lockers and Power Vision tune/dyno done. I put a decibel checker app on my phone yesterday just to get some idea of the noise volume, and it's 107db at tickover rising to 112db when I rev it 'gently' !! . The exhaust didn't seem as loud before I fitted the cams, but it's to be expected?
    I had long shots on a Fat Bob a few years back and added a 106 kit and cams and the exhaust note changed to almost ear piercing when revved, so ended up with a 2:1 V&H pro pipe which was a really nice deep note and made better power.

An alternative could be Jackal & Hyde three stage exhaust. Not cheap but offers quiet, mid and loud exhaust notes at the touch of a button.
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    81.40 MB

Supertrap is a good option for your bike.

Total Downloaded
    187.60 MB

I had v and h long shots and fitted the removable baffles but I would imagine that they alter / induce a back pressure.

If it were me I would talk to Alex and get his advice. That way he knows what he is going to work with and can plan when you throw the bike at him.
    .......They Say That Hard Work Never Hurt Anyone - But Why Risk It!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast