Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake pads -sintered or semi-sintered?

Total Downloaded
    93.34 MB

Re: Brake pads -sintered or semi-sintered?

Here's my two penn'orth.. My Fat Bob had OEM pads when I got it at 18,000miles and the front ones steadfastly refused to wear out but they felt very wooden. I've had a couple of sets of EBC's in H and HH and they're ok, though they lose both feel at about 5,000 miles in my experience. I tried ferodo sintered pads and they stopped you well enough but didn't last long at all, The last set I had were cheapy Goldfren ones (sintered but can't recall if they were H or HH) and they were as good as the EBC's as far as I could tell. I've now just put a set of Goldfren ceramic sintered pads in and while the back's great, the front is horribly grabby until they're warmed up. Time will tell how they last. For the record, I reckon at 40,000miles (now) all my discs will probably be due for replacement by next year. There's definate signs of wear on all. Not too bad really.
    Region 3, North East, Tyne & Wear

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    184.58 MB

Re: Brake pads -sintered or semi-sintered?

Way back when I was a Ford Main Dealer mechanic there was a spate of customers reporting brake judder and apparent loss of braking effort shortly after having a service / pads fitted.

After some investigation it was found that the new style of pads had a different compound and were not abrasive enough. This resulted in the pads 'glazing' and discs polishing slightly. Not aided by stop / start / town driving and not enough heavy braking.

So the pads were recalled and better abrasive ones fitted. To this day I don't like using OEM pads.

I too have fitted EBC and Goldfren sintered with better braking and no disc issues.
    Hard Work Never Hurt Anyone - But Why Risk It!

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12