Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooling

Total Downloaded
    518.31 MB

Cooling

I have noticed that when in stationary traffic, or very slow moving traffic in the current sunny weather my Twin Cam engine is getting very hot.

The fueling is correct as been set on a dyno.

Anyone on here had similar issues and how did you overcome it?

Was looking at Love Jugs (yep, a comical name and wondered what a Google search would pop up) or Jim's Forceflow but keen to learn from others who may have had success with other solutions.

Thanks
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB

Re: Cooling

How do you define HOT? In this country we seem to forget that the bikes are designed to run in ambient temperatures of 30+ degrees that you commonly see in some US states.

If I get stuck for prolonged periods in stationary traffic I turn the engine off.
    There are two kinds of people in this world
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Total Downloaded
    518.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    How do you define HOT? In this country we seem to forget that the bikes are designed to run in ambient temperatures of 30+ degrees that you commonly see in some US states.

If I get stuck for prolonged periods in stationary traffic I turn the engine off.
    Hot as in......if I turn the bike off, I have to let it cool before it will start so turning off in slow moving traffic is a non-starter currently and would have to leave it run until it eventually cuts onto one cylinder.
    Darren Thomas

Total Downloaded
    81.40 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlin View Post
    but keen to learn from others who may have had success with other solutions.

Thanks
    I find that 100ml of MTFU works wonders.

Total Downloaded
    518.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Halal Tim View Post
    I find that 100ml of MTFU works wonders.
    LOL!!

I have had plenty of this and dried my eyes several times, but the bike still refuses to start if you turn it off when really hot and try to start it within the first minute or two.

I am running a very masculine hairy chest, high testosterone 117" kit, so the extra heat could be just down to the added heroic power it kicks out
    Darren Thomas

Total Downloaded
    81.40 MB

Does the bike still have a cat??
    400 plus postage and duties seems a lot for 2 fans.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlin View Post
    Hot as in......if I turn the bike off, I have to let it cool before it will start
    Something not right there. It's turning over but not firing or? First place I would go is the dyno that did the tune. Which tuning device?

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB

When the Buell had problems with aparant overheating (engine light flickering on when hot and misfire) turned out to be a faulty temperature sensor. Check for fault codes if the bike is so equipped.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 27-06-2018 at 02:47 PM.
    There are two kinds of people in this world
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Total Downloaded
    518.31 MB

Hi All,

Bike is a 2016 Fat Boy Lo S fitted with a SE 117@ Kit.

Ian - Bike runs Bassini Road Rage 2:1 so no Cat in place.

Alex - The bike struggles to turn over after suffering with the heat. Is 100% fine if I have been moving, but if stuck in traffic and then I park and switch off, if I press the starter shortly after, it really struggles to turn over and the starter retracts as it's clearly not having any of it.

Tune is Power Vision and there is nothing wrong with the tune, so let's eliminate this item as it's set on a Dyno with people I have used for years and the fueling graph is all good.

My brother has the same on his CVO Breakout with the 117@ SE Engine kit. His bike cut out all together in London as it clearly got too hot and he had to leave it for a while to cool down before it sprung back into life.

Phil - No flickering of lights etc.

The bike just seems to struggle to turn over suggesting the clearance between piston and cylinder have reduced due to the heat build-up, hence looking for cooling options to see what people may had used as the bike is fine until it sits still in hot weather for any length of time and still runs fine, it's just if I decide to turn it off and then fire it back up in a small space of time.
    Darren Thomas

Total Downloaded
    9.14 MB

First read this, very useful information within

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/why-...cl-tc-dn-1.htm

Second, buy Love Juggs, they are fantastic. Got caught in a huge traffic jam in Arizona at 104 degrees. Ok, I got hot but they bike ticked over just fine with positive (normal) oil pressure. Without the love juggs I have seen zero indicated oil pressure before in the DC summer.

Third, sell the softail, they suck in the heat and sitting on the hot oil tank doesn't help. I had a Fatboy and hated it in the summer. Much more airflow on the touring or dyna.

Forth, stop complaining, the UK hardly ever gets got enough for it to be a real issue. I have to put up with daily riding in stupid heat for at least half the year! (But hey, I still don't want to come home)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast