Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooling

Total Downloaded
    12.29 MB

Re: Cooling

"Sell the softail. Stop complaining." Hardly useful information. Hardly ever an issue in the UK dosent cut it if you are stuck/stopped somewhere. The OP has an issue he wants to resolve without resorting to selling the bike.
    What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    9.14 MB

Oh, I'm sorry if my perfectly helpful link to D&K's comprehensive and useful article on cooling plus my positive endorsement of love juggs wasn't enough for you.

Maybe the one day if summer that you are experiencing is messing with your "obviously tongue in cheek" identification gene

Total Downloaded
    499.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Parham View Post
    First read this, very useful information within

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/why-...cl-tc-dn-1.htm

Second, buy Love Juggs, they are fantastic. Got caught in a huge traffic jam in Arizona at 104 degrees. Ok, I got hot but they bike ticked over just fine with positive (normal) oil pressure. Without the love juggs I have seen zero indicated oil pressure before in the DC summer.

Third, sell the softail, they suck in the heat and sitting on the hot oil tank doesn't help. I had a Fatboy and hated it in the summer. Much more airflow on the touring or dyna.

Forth, stop complaining, the UK hardly ever gets got enough for it to be a real issue. I have to put up with daily riding in stupid heat for at least half the year! (But hey, I still don't want to come home)
    Who’s complaining? Not me....I am asking if anyone has fitted any cooling items so seeking tried and tested methods.

Funny how all the cooling items are designed for Tourers........suggesting the air flow is actually worse.

I tour all over Europe, so I think you will find it gets pretty hot near Gibraltar etc..

Thanks for the link. Will have a read
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlin View Post
    Tune is Power Vision and there is nothing wrong with the tune
    AFR has a major influence on combustion temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlin View Post
    so let's eliminate this item as it's set on a Dyno with people I have used for years and the fueling graph is all good.
    Fair enough - dismiss any tune problems because you've been using the same dyno for years. It must be perfect then. Good luck.

Total Downloaded
    499.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Lane View Post
    AFR has a major influence on combustion temperature.

Fair enough - dismiss any tune problems because you've been using the same dyno for years. It must be perfect then. Good luck.
    Slightly cynical and closed response

If the tune is a custom PV map set with the fuel mapping spot on, can you elaborate on your point as it’s currently lost on me, unless you have theory behind the ‘tune’ which I am sure you have given your experience. I am all ears as don’t profess to be an expert.

Air Flow Rate suggests you are pointing at getting the SE heads ported to move the air more efficiently?

You have seen and previously commented on the map on the Dyno threads post my build, so we have something to look at if that helps.

In summary
    117” SE engine kit with 58mm throttle body with SE cams all as per the HD kit
    Bassini Road Rage 2:1 exhaust
    Standard SE air filter as fitted on the Fatboy S
    Standard plugs
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    120.43 MB

My FXSTI used to get surprisingly hot after quite short runs, it is the standard 1450cc engine, a couple of years ago I got the engine powder coated and whilst it was dismantled had Timpkin's Bearing fitted and timing gear wheels but apart from that is standard. I have not noticed the heat from the engine in recent times. Not sure why this is could be coincidence or the fact the engine has slackened off. I am not qualified to say. But yesterday was really warm did a 120 mile run with only a stop for Petrol no real heat from engine.

Total Downloaded
    46.12 MB

Maybe an oil cooler would be of benefit ? Just sayin.

Total Downloaded
    81.16 MB

Have you considered the weight of the rider?
    That bread pudding must weigh a fair bit.

Total Downloaded
    9.14 MB

Based on my old 96" Fatboy in the summer heat I don't think that your hot starting issue is that uncommon in extreme heat. Mine used to be a pig if it cooked in traffic and like you said there is a point of no return where you know that turning it off is the right thing to do but it has to be a safe place as it won't restart for a while.

things that worked (a little) for me: I could log engine temps from my thundermax ecu, fully synthetic engine oil reduced the max temps that I saw by about 5 degrees. Not much but it all helps. I did a tank lift of 1.5" and relocated the coil to get more airflow to the rear cylinder, that also knocked a few degrees off the max. The most useful was the max temp alarm that the thundermax let me set. I set this to a few degrees below what ETMS would kick in at on the new bikes ( my 07 didn't have ETMS). This flashed the Ecu light so I knew to stop for a cool down. Stopping early meant that the restart problem went away.

my comment about the dyna and touring was merely meant that they don't have the Softail clutter behind the rear cylinder that blocks the airflow. The Softail seems to be the most sensitive to extreme heat purely by design. The D&K articledoes give some good tips to follow to get this back under control.

as for the Love Juggs, I have them on my Ultra and now wouldn't be without them. After this post yesterday I set my power vision to display engine temps just to see what the Juggs are doing. Stopped in stationary traffic I saw the engine temp reasonably rapidly start to spike. As soon as I turned on the fans the increase stopped and over the period of a minute and a half or so I actually saw the indicated temps start to decrease. This then stabilised and held steady. This was in an indicated 87 degrees (F) situation which I think is quite impressive. Appreciate that they aren't cheap but they are an engine saver

Total Downloaded
    120.43 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Leadbelly View Post
    My FXSTI used to get surprisingly hot after quite short runs, it is the standard 1450cc engine, a couple of years ago I got the engine powder coated and whilst it was dismantled had Timpkin's Bearing fitted and timing gear wheels but apart from that is standard. I have not noticed the heat from the engine in recent times. Not sure why this is could be coincidence or the fact the engine has slackened off. I am not qualified to say. But yesterday was really warm did a 120 mile run with only a stop for Petrol no real heat from engine.
    The thing and I think the reason why bike runs cooler is that it has a different exhaust cam fitted. The one chosen is slightly higher lift getting better exhaust flow. Had to fit new cams when getting the geared timing fitted. A mate was saying that this used to be a problem years ago with the Bonnies. I cannot remember that one. Anyway I probably have better flow for the exhaust now and this explains why it is cooler.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast