Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2019 HDRCGB 70th Anniversary International Rally - R2 - Kelso

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB

Re: 2019 HDRCGB 70th Anniversary International Rally - R2 - Kelso

Let common sense prevail, if you can't ride and you are a known member, then you should in my opinion check ahead with the rally hosts and explain your reasons. I agree that where its abused a firmer line should be taken, and I fully support those more unusual events (such as Devon Johns) where its clearly bikes only - whats the fun in driving to an event in winter, the challenge is the ride and surviving the camp! As already stated, I would not want to arrive at a rally on anything other than my bike, but if my bike broke down, or ill health became an issue, its nice to have other options available and be trusted that I'm not deliberately avoiding the ride.
    Next years International will I'm sure will be a cracker, celebrating our 70th year as a club, I'd be gutted not to ride, so I can only hope both my bike and body don't let me down or the rest of my fellow riders who enjoy all things two wheeled.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    22.86 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Halal Tim View Post
    i agree with you john.
    its a hard one to police. ive seen it with non harley events.

i can see both sides of the argument, but from past experience, it turns into a bun fight, and a car event very quickly.
    i left a MCC for this reason. i joined thinking it was a motor cycle club, but it turned out MCC meant, mainly car club.

i wouldnt like to see old, or ill members turned away because they cant physically ride anymore.
    hopefully regional event organisers can keep a lid on the abuse of cars and vans.

you only have to look at the triple rally to see the increasing numbers of able bodied turning up on anything but a bike.
    and thats not a dig at regional members who come in the car etc, to bring equipment and rally set up.
    its aimed at the " it might rain, best take the motor" brigade.

jmho.
    like it or lump it,.
    Funny that the Triple was mentioned, as the advertising for this rally always used to carry the request that cars were by prior permission only. As this event has a secure separate car park it hasn’t been a problem. Any problems have been caused by those not wanting to obay the request to remove their cars from the rally field.
    To be fair we normally have prior warning of any camper vans and they are separated, and their contribution is welcomed.
    obviously we are lucky to have the space to accomadate all comers, securely.
    Sussex Coaster

Total Downloaded
    20.54 MB

Good decision Chrissy,

Some of us should ride up in a group, this gives a boost when you have a rest stop and can chat about sore asses.
    Hey Hooky, how about getting a side car then chrissy can sleep all the way
    Steve Fosberry
    Member 08916

Total Downloaded
    210.2 KB

My thoughts are that campers and cars allowed on the rally site should ONLY be by prior agreement with the organisers unless its due to unforseen circumstances ie an aborted ride to the rally for technical or health reasons etc. Such circumstances could surely be negotiated with organisers on the day.Threfore all cars and campers entering the site will have been sanctioned by the organisers before the event or on the day.
    I would have thought that members and non members would self regulate this issue to a large extent by making every effort to ride to the event and respect the events on site ban for non motorcycles where it exists. If you choose to, or need to attend the event in a van or car it doesn't stop you attending so no one should feel marginalised. Just park off site.
    As has been said, we are all getting older and fitness to ride is dictated by our physical (and in Brownies case mental) ability.
    We should all respect and support the rules set out by event organisers but equally we should all acknowlege and respect the health or circumstances of fellow members and non members. We surely dont want to be asked to produce a doctors sick note on the gate ! As time goes by our older members or any member with poor health which dictates they are unable ride should be encouraged to attend any event they choose by whatever means of transport they like.
    Using the term 'riders' club as a means to exclude is a worry as it contradicts the term 'club'.
    Hodgie.
    Last edited by Hodgie; 16-07-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by les049 View Post
    Well its in the calendar and me and my mate will be attending on bikes from Hampshire. It'll be an overnighter both ways so will be looking for a camp site to frequent ! Might make it "socialable" to find a campsite for a regroup on the Thursday night perhaps near the Lakes ?
    How do Les there is a excellent camp site with 2 pubs within 500yds and the welcome is always good the location is Borrowdale the camp site is Chapel Farm the directions is basically head into Keswick and keep to the left side the of Derwent so the east side of the lake its 6 miles south of Keswick but Borrowdale is sign posted in Keswick the area is stunning and its a safe site.

Total Downloaded

I agree with most of what Chris has said but there are folk driving cars onto rally sites and I have met a few of them and its mainly due to the excuse that they cant be arsed to pack their bike with the tent and stuff or the wife wont ride on the back so she is in the car these are excuses that i'm not happy with, but yes folk who have attended the Riders club rallies for many years and can no longer ride their American Motorcycle then we should make allowances but like many others have suggested within this thread most of us should attempt to attend via 2 wheels

Total Downloaded
    518.31 MB

Quote Originally Posted by les049 View Post
    Well its in the calendar and me and my mate will be attending on bikes from Hampshire. It'll be an overnighter both ways so will be looking for a camp site to frequent ! Might make it "socialable" to find a campsite for a regroup on the Thursday night perhaps near the Lakes ?
    Hi Les,

The campsite recommended by Andy looks pretty good, although it's only about 107 miles to the Rally site from there .

Will watch with interest how this post unfolds and how many R19 make the commitment and decide what works for everyone, but may even smash the full 380 miles on the Thursday from A to B as this time of year the evenings will be warm.

If I leave at 4, I should be there for midnight with ease.....weather permitting of course.

Mark, Colin and I rode up to Falkirk in one hit for the Wallace Rally earlier this year and that was no bother, and Kelso is around 100 miles less so should be a breeze.
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    20.54 MB

That campsite at Chapel farm is a good site, just stayed there last week as it happens. takes people on the spot and has plenty of extra space if busy.
    Steve Fosberry
    Member 08916

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Dredger View Post
    That campsite at Chapel farm is a good site, just stayed there last week as it happens. takes people on the spot and has plenty of extra space if busy.
    How do Steve Chapel Farm is only 25 miles from my house so its handy for us when we are fell walking we have camped there for years the owner and his wife are great folk and like you said its a good camp site with plenty of room and the facilities are good for a campers needs.

Total Downloaded

Cheers Andy, Will bear that one in mind !

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast