Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some advice please?

Total Downloaded
    17.52 MB

Re: Looking for some advice please?

Quote Originally Posted by mr. pitts View Post
    Check your engine oil level & drain the gas tank & put some fresh fuel in. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they have a higher level of ethanol in their fuel, which won't help the situation when coupled with the high temps we're getting lately. Hope it's OK, Hal.
    You're right Rob, their cheaper petrol is E10 - pre-ignition seems a canditate with that kind of noise. I always use higher octain over there.
    Coasters Assistant Rep

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    134.53 MB

Well guys, thanks to everyone for all the help and good advice. As a credit card mechanic, I did a good job in getting all the fuel out of the tank. I have put in 5 litres of Shell V-Power and managed to get the bike started after quite a few attempts.

Unfortunately, the wife mentioned that the young children next door were asleep, so had to cut the engine. Hopefully, it will start in the morning and I can take it out for a ride and see how it performs. I did notice that the petrol gauge has not reset, but lets see how it rides. Fingers crossed.

Some of you have mentioned pre-ignition. If this was the problem because of poor quality petrol, would this have caused any problems to the engine that I should be aware of. Thanks again everyone.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was up to me to decide.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    would this have caused any problems to the engine that I should be aware of
    Not for the short time that you experienced. Long term is a different thing and will destroy big end bearings in no time ...

Total Downloaded
    134.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Lane View Post
    Not for the short time that you experienced. Long term is a different thing and will destroy big end bearings in no time ...
    Thanks Alex - really appreciate that.

Total Downloaded
    93.34 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    What, to fuel problems?
    Gearbox went on the Victory on the second day (Apparantly quite common but luckily the motor is still under warranty), still buggered his holiday though as he had to go home. On the third day the Fat Bob went into limp mode and even with the codes pointing us to the problem we couldn't find anything visibly wrong to fix. With the front pot completely shut down poor Meathead had to limp it around for the rest of the week as a reduced power 850 single. Didn't half vibrate a lot
    Region 3, North East, Tyne & Wear

Total Downloaded
    134.53 MB

Sorry to hear of the issues with your mates Vinny, even more of a problem when your not in the UK and something goes wrong.

Well I have to say, I am one happy bunny today. Took the bike out today after draining the tank and it ran like a dream. No knocking, fuel gauge reset itself and it was back to its old self. May I offer a BIG THANK YOU to everyone that gave me some good advice on what to do to solve the problem. Lesson learnt for the future - only go to a known branded petrol station and look for the highest octane available. Cheers guys.

Total Downloaded
    187.60 MB

Glad it's sorted Hal
    .......They Say That Hard Work Never Hurt Anyone - But Why Risk It!

Total Downloaded
    21.02 MB

Way to go, Alan. Not bad fer a credit card mechanic! We'll coax a spanner into yer hand yet!.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12