Thread: Fat Bob Misfire

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB

Fat Bob Misfire

Just ridden 300 miles (mostly boring motorway) returning home from Lakes Rally. The bike develops an occasional misfire on hard acceleration and stinks of petrol fumes when parked up in my garage with no signs of leakage? Any ideas? Could it just be the extreme weather conditions - over 30 degrees coming home and long hard ride? Its a 2013 FB with 103 engine.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

Re: Fat Bob Misfire

Riding along will always be a little cool on the tank, this in turn will cool the fuel slightly, when it goes into your garage which i suspect it hot along with the heat from the engine the fuel will heat up and expand is size. This will vent from the tank as fumes.
    My wife says to be, "the garage stinks of petrol" when in fact its just fumes.
    Haven't got an answer for the misfire. is it ok now the weather has cooled?

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB

Thanks for the reply Hawkeye. The bike seems to run fine if I take it easy and only seems to occasionally misfire and then only when really hot. The petrol smell has gone also - that was down to extreme heat in an integral garage that was 31 degrees C during heatwave.

Total Downloaded

Maybe a plug or lead breaking down, Plugs are easy to change, leads you can sometimes see at night when it's good and dark.
    My integral garage was the same.

Total Downloaded

Check the Plugs first then Plug Leads. Easiest and cheapest. the smell of petrol maybe unburnt fuel in the cylinder or exhaust due to the misfire.
    HTH. Let us know.
    Pat.

Total Downloaded
    81.16 MB

Check your plug leads have not been rubbing on the underside of the fuel tank. It was a problem on a few bikes a while back. You need to remove the leads fully to inspect for breaks in the insulation.

Total Downloaded
    113.35 MB

Could be fuel vapour locking. Some petrol formulations are more suceptable than others. The bikes are designed to run in Arizona where 31 degrees is not in any way extreme.
    Instant experts...... just add google.