Thread: Has Harley gone a bit bonkers?

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Has Harley gone a bit bonkers?

Scary times, the "Big Four" can afford to absorb a mistake but HD surely cannot? Harleys history is of surviving by caution and playing safe, although they are collectable now both the XLCR Cafe Racer and the XR-1000 were liked by the press but not by the customers. Remember that TV program with the "respected" industrialist who suggested Morgan should go into mass production? maybe now he is advising HD?

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    46.18 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say good luck to them.

The new bikes probably will have some issues, it’s generation 1 of something new. Hopefully the good points will outweigh the bad points.

I don’t want to see HD go under and they know that they can’t rely on the “I’ll never ride other than an Evo” rider as this attitude offers no benefit to the business that is HD.

Fat cruisers and fat baggers for ever older riders are not a sustainable business model as they have limited appeal to the millennial customer base and has been discussed to death on here (and elsewhere).

Having an E bike and a couple of smaller affordable bikes is a great idea. These should appeal to milennials more than the traditional product range.

I think an adventure bike makes a lot of sense as a concept. ADV bikes are the new tourer and they are arguably more usable. The difficulty will be pitching it again the GS, Multistrada etc. It’s arguably comparable to the Alfa Stelvio. (Give the customer what they want)

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I must admit that last year Ming went round the Ace Cafe and came across a coachload of visiting American Triumph dealers, once chatting with them they told him it was the adventure models that were the big sellers. Don't know if the same applies over here but maybe that is how HD see the market going. I still worry about the people at HD who make the decisions - after all these are the ones who thought Elton John was a good idea for the 100th festival.

Total Downloaded
    10.24 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the nearest HD got to adventure bikes was the Buell a good bike but not for dirt with a belt,, it also limited tyres ,,etc

it could have been a great bike if some of these little faults were rectified ,,

as to the idea lets wait a see what there going to offer ,,,,, could great or a flop

john
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Facts of life.
    Indian have taken market share from Harley in the US (Indian sales up Harley sales down. Simple maths)
    The indian made poundland bikes have been a flop. Harley sold 240,000 bikes last year. There golden age was 2006 when they sold 350,000 bikes and only marginally better than the crash of 2008. Their share price is falling.

They have taken a gamble with dumping the softail and Dyna models for new hybrid frame design (half softail), when the Dyna was the best selling big twin in many markets.

They are moving production to low cost countries, which is fine if you have a robust quality control track record like Honda but if you can't make stuff right at home you have no chance shipping it out to sweatshops overseas.

Now they are dumping the "American Dream" for latte sipping dot com millennials. Even grey beards are potentially banned for their advertising.

Their Electric bikes are going to be murderously expensive, my guess you wont get change out of £30 grand for the Livewire.

This is sh!t or bust. And I think it will be bust.

Personally I think the lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Harley need to go broke and get bought out by someone like Polaris who can concentrate on Harleys brand strength and dump all this eco fluff.

Then at least they can get back to what they are supposed to be good at.
    Last edited by Gizmo; 01-08-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so here is their leccy bike concept .... https://www.altamotors.co/

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/01/ha...c-motorcycles/

40 mile range....

Name:  2000000001.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  97.4 KB
    Last edited by Gizmo; 01-08-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The day our emblem is replaced by a battery symbol and we gather at rallies or events to look at a large battery and discuss DC output is the day I'll jack it in. Hopefully we have many years of proper biking left, but I know its inevitable! I'll never buy a 30 grand electric Harley - although I have to admit I like the orange flat tracker styled ebike - but it needs a v twin petrol engine in the frame!
    Last edited by Rick; 01-08-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    I still worry about the people at HD who make the decisions - after all these are the ones who thought Elton John was a good idea for the 100th festival.
    Apparently that was the wife of one of the board of directors. I was there - you've never seen a gig empty so fast!

As per the topic....we are the PAST. Harley has to secure its future.

I, and very few on here, are the target market any more. Good luck to the MoCo.

In the automotive/transport industry, you simply cannot survive towards the middle of the 21st century with a product line no broader than it was in 1972. FACT.

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the past 20 years Harley make money because they have an iconic image based on a unique range of bikes that inspire nostalgia and something very unique to the industry. The comparisons are with the Mini and Fiat 500.

As soon as they start to try and compete on other brands turf their issues with price and quality will cripple them. But this is being driven by the shareholders who will bail out as soon as it all turns bad, if it has not already done so.

It would be better to try and shrink the business and stick with what you know. Triumph are about one third the size of Harley and they are doing OK, there are more newcomers offering vintage looking bikes. Indian are also cashing in at Harleys expence.

Total Downloaded
    123.78 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Triumph went bust in the late 70's / early 80's because they didn't change, now they (in the new era thanks to John Bloor) offer a varied range of motorcycles which sell well - and are helped by the name. Nobody in 1974 would have thought that Triumph would be making market leading trial style touring bikes,, I can hear it now "that won't handle or go round corners..."

HD have to adopt, adapt and improve otherwise it will be curtains. Norton, Triumph and BSA prove that.
    Heritage Softail 2009
    Regional Rep - Region 7
    South & West Wales

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast