Thread: Novelty fault.

Total Downloaded
    46.79 MB

Novelty fault.

Afternoon.

Developed an interesting fault yesterday. I had ridden about sixty miles yesterday on the Shovel (FLHP) when I noticed the speedo needle was hanging down at about the seven O clock position. When I slowed for a roundabout I could see that the needle was in fact trying to do a second lap of the clock face. The needle settled back at zero when I stopped and then worked completely happily for the next couple of miles before it went spinning off around the clock again. This occurred every time the speed dropped below 30.

Presumably being a 1983 I guess the clock is a magnetic cup and cone design so I guess there is a damper clutch slipping or a resistance spring weak.

Is this a common problem and easily fixed ie spares available?

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    241.17 MB

Re: Novelty fault.

Hi Andrew,
    If memory serves it may be that the cup has come un-staked. Tho this should be taken with a grain of salt , it been many and many a long year since I've seen the inside of a H-D speedo.
    Trying to find an online parts diagram for the old mechs. That would boost the mem cells likely.

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded
    46.79 MB

Hi Stephen.

Thanks for the reply.

Total Downloaded
    241.17 MB

Andrew,
    After digesting my dissatisfaction with my previous answer I ploughed (see Paul, I'm wernin engwish) up the innernit and this is the most comprehensive thing i came up with.

http://happywrench.com/2018/01/31/br...e-speedometer/

Skip

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded
    46.79 MB

Thanks for that Stephen, very useful, I look forward to spilling its guts in the near future.

Total Downloaded
    46.79 MB

Evening.

Well using Stephens advice the clock came apart beautifully, taking your time is definitely the key. Unfortunately between the posting and the doing it developed the classic scream and the needle fell off.

I was hopeful that the needle had just popped, but alas the shaft had snapped, so it's back to counting lamposts.

Total Downloaded
    241.17 MB

You mean the pointer shaft snapped??!! That would indeed rate as a novelty fault.
    From 1990-93 1/2 I sat at a bench in a FAA Instrument Repair Station and, through an eight-power eye loupe, overhauled these little things:
    https://www.mctgshop.top/indicators-c-1_697_856_858/military-aircraft-turbine-tachometer-percent-rpm-part-8dj43aam-ge-instrument-p-6657.htm?language=en

(this is a rather sloppily done example in the link)
    Magnetic drag indicating is, principally, pretty much the same all 'round save that the turbine tach has a tiny gear-reduction transmission with shafts that runs in ruby journals. A rotating magnet, a cup and a calibrated spring tied to a pointer is all.

I hope you don't find out just how very easily pointers bend.