Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ultima shock absorbers

Total Downloaded

Re: Ultima shock absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
    When I spoke to Russ, he was going that weekend to Germany to a show, he would order them on his return.
    I'm calling at Bretton this Saturday, and hopefully, they are on order,
    I have other stuff to order also, Chain and sprockets, going to try one of those "Easy Clutch" devices,
    AND MAYBE, go from the Mikuni HS40 to an S&S Carb.
    Any thoughts on the Carbs folks? Might start a new thread actually, plenty of knowledge on here....
    Have some experience with Mikuni HS(R) and S&S Super E (and G) carbs on various performance Evos. The HSR is a much better carb imo, it gets better MPG, gives a smoother more progressive acceleration through the rev range, and I found it easy to set up, though I had the use of a dyno. The S&S is obviously very well known and liked, but I think its now a bit dated. One thing I would say is that the S&S is often recommended by HD mechanics because they are familiar with it, while when the Mikuni first came out, it was seen as over complex and tricky to set up. But I don't think that reputation is justified.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

Re: Ultima shock absorbers

Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
    Have some experience with Mikuni HS(R) and S&S Super E (and G) carbs on various performance Evos. The HSR is a much better carb imo, it gets better MPG, gives a smoother more progressive acceleration through the rev range, and I found it easy to set up, though I had the use of a dyno. The S&S is obviously very well known and liked, but I think its now a bit dated. One thing I would say is that the S&S is often recommended by HD mechanics because they are familiar with it, while when the Mikuni first came out, it was seen as over complex and tricky to set up. But I don't think that reputation is justified.
    Thanks for your thoughts, one and all...
    I do like the HS40, but the return spring, for me, anyway..
    Interesting peoples thoughts that the S&S aren't as maybe as good as I thought.
    I'm also getting this light "Sand" coloured powder in the float bowl, causing fuel starvation- coughing, backfiring etc.
    drop the plug out of the float bowl, empty the crud lying in the bottom, and away she goes.
    Can't work out where it's coming from-
    new hoses, new filter/tap, new rebuild kit on the carb, and the bike has has LOTS of fuel through the tanks this summer,
    not every fill up either, just make sure I've got the tools with me,
    you know what it's like- Take Tools with you, and you won't break down, Take Waterproofs with you, and it won't rain.....

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123