Thread: Better Bananas

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

Better Bananas

I'm sorting my Shovel out gradually, customising as I go but trying to keep the essence of what makes a Harley a Harley.
    One of these essentials is the rear banana caliper. Fortunately, it's an FX so there aren't any on the front, I've replaced the front hub warmers with Harrison by Sickboys calipers.
    The rear was badly worn in the pivot pin holes and was wrinkle black.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cal 1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	31115
    I considered buying new but settled on the idea of renovating it. I started by sandblasting the wrinkle off - this is much harder than you would think, Harley paint was very durable in the old days...
    I then set about sleeving the elongated holes, this was also more difficult than you would think, involving careful measuring for hole centres and making a jig to clamp in the mill. Stainless steel sleeves were driven in and trimmed to follow the contours and there we are - hopefully bullet proof.

Name:	cal 2.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	31116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cal5.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	31117
    Then I though I'd polish rather than paint the parts - including the Y bracket. Again, not easy as all the parts are sand cast without vacuum or pressure so the eddy swirls created as the molten metal solidified create boundaries that show up slightly however hard you try. Nevertheless, it scrubbed up well enough and I'm pleased with the result.
    I then thought I'd personalise the parts a little so added a bit of engraving of various sorts. I don't have a theme so whatever comes into my head is stewed over for a couple of days, if it still seems like a good idea when sober, I'll give it a go.
    Certain areas will never be seen once it's assembled, some of it will need to be discovered and some is obvious.

Name:	cal 8.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	31118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cal 9.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	31119

Does anyone recognise the song?

Rocker covers next. Can I polish them in the frame or do I remove them? I found a video showing removal can be done without removing the heads, does anyone have experience?
    Last edited by Hector H Taylor; 11-09-2018 at 09:01 PM.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    241.17 MB

Re: Better Bananas

Quote Originally Posted by Hector H Taylor View Post
    .............. I found a video showing removal can be done without removing the heads,
    I, for one, would admire to see it. Can you post up a link?

* glad to see another 'metal-carver' in this lot*

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

Here you go LS, this is always assuming the front comes out without issue?

BTW, I'm not a metal carver, I'm a dental technician. All I have is dental lab equipment and a smattering of hope...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5T5KJ7Kz-g

Total Downloaded
    30.93 MB

thats a ironhead but should be very similar I guess! Obviously only any good if you have bolts, not studs like my two

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    thats a ironhead but should be very similar I guess! Obviously only any good if you have bolts, not studs like my two
    Hmm, good point. I'll be polishing in situ...

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

I was checking over the internal parts to reassemble the caliper last night, comparing them with the parts book diagram. I found that I had a part missing so I checked my disassembly photos to discover it never existed. It's OEM part number 44004-80 known as an insulator. This begs the question of how important it is as the brake seemed to function without it (as well as a banana ever did...). The question wouldn't arise if we were tripping over replacements; I found one in the States for a couple of dollars but postage and handling is $73! I've asked for an alternative - cheaper method of delivery: silence...

The part is 1 3/4" in diameter and 5/16" thick but I don't know what the material is - 'insulator' sounds like plastic? Is it part of the anti rattle system? Could I knock one up in Acetal?

Anyone have any ideas?

Total Downloaded
    28.82 MB

JWB have them for €27.40 delivered if that's any use?
    Jake Beatson
    Centenary FXST

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

Yes, thanks Banquo. They have a €70 minimum order but at least I get some shiny bolts into the bargain for the same money as the Yanks wanted.

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

But, can I make my own?

Total Downloaded
    241.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Hector H Taylor View Post
    .......... I found one in the States for a couple of dollars but postage and handling is $73! I've asked for an alternative - cheaper method of delivery: silence...

Now that's extremely odd......................
    I've just sent over a starter-bendix tool to our tool clerk.. it weighed 11 oz. in a bubble-mailer; the cost of 'shipping and handling' was $23.00 US. Took exactly one week to get from me to him.
    Methinks often this 'shipping & handling' business is merely a way to tack on a few dollars JUST because the part is bound cross the water.
    If you wanna try it again, I'll bet I could order the part and get it to you for a total of 30-35 US. Including part.
    Last edited by last shovel; Today at 11:08 AM.

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.