Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Better Bananas

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

Re: Better Bananas

You are correct but I’ve organised delivery from Boon. They are a quality act.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Hector H Taylor View Post
    (as well as a banana ever did...)
    True story - when my 1974 FLH was young enough to need an MoT, during one test the mechanic (a motorcyclist) had it on the roller brake tester to measure the brake efficiency.
    As he tested the front and rear bananas, I could see him shaking his head quite a few times, and I thought the brakes had failed the test.
    I asked him if everything was OK, and he told me that he'd heard a lot about Harley's poor brakes, but mine were "right up there with the best superbikes", which astounded me.
    I already knew the brakes were as powerful as I could live with - they could both lock the wheels if pressed hard enough.
    They take a little fettling of course - keeping an eye on bushes wear and lube, the wear on the pad pinsand pad pin location holes.
    Stainless steel pins help, but the best mod is to replace the stock rubber hoses with stainless braided ones to minimise any brake loss through hose expansion.
    Incidentally, it might surprise riders to know that a modified version of the banana is still sold by the original manufacturer Kelsey Hayes - as a racing brake!
    Even the pads haven't changed much...

Total Downloaded
    10.85 MB

To bear out what you say, when the 1972 (disc front, hydraulic drum rear) FLH was road tested by american magazine "Motorcyclist" the writer was raving about the brake - yes, I know 1972 was still in the twin leading shoe era but do think about the other bikes around at the time.
    (though personally I am happy going over to ex-Triumph Lockheed calipers)

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

I don't think any type of break after Twin Leading Shoe brakes are all that bad, I'd have a TLS on anything other than an out and out missile. I had a TLS on my 1970 Starfire (I loved that bike...). In '70 (when the bike was brand new!) a friend of mine was recently banned for speeding on his SLS braked Bonnie - he was an experienced rider and asked for a spin round the block on the Starfire. He didn't get any further than the first corner 50 yards away - he got a big handful of front brake and summersaulted over the 'bars...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12