Thread: Hoggin' The Bridge - this Sunday

Total Downloaded

Hoggin' The Bridge - this Sunday

So who's going this year, & how about a breakfast meet 08:30 as last year? I've committed to doing the whole event thing this time so I'll be taking a bit of wood to go under the kick stand just in case.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    10.72 MB

Re: Hoggin' The Bridge - this Sunday

Not for me Cab, too much stop-start burning out your clutch. Hope you have a good time there.
    Life is such a bitch, that's why I sing the blues. :s:

Total Downloaded

I see what people mean about queuing! Overall, a good day out. Getting out of the services was kind of what you'd expect but didn't take too long (getting stuck next to the scooter group must be what gave me the headache!). there was space for everyone to spread out on the bridge, sensibly most kept to one lane, but there was an almost stationary line from the tail of the bridge all up round the roundabout. Quite a few bikes had pulled over to cool down but there were also people pressing on with bikes which were obviously suffering! My oil temp was a bit higher at this point, but ran fine. As soon as we got on the straight, it was back to normal speeds & only slowed down again going in to Caldicot. Families with children were lining the roads & high fiving the riders as they passed, but to be honest it's hard to hive five when you're juggling the clutch at walking speed! There wasn't a queue to get into the venue, there's a nice long road around the outside & a great big field to park in. They even provided wooden squares for the side stands spread out round the field. That long drive had recently been spread with surface planings which were still a bit loose - no trouble for a Sportster but I saw some sports bike riders looking a bit worried! There was plenty of mobile catering, and the site bar/restaurant, & a collection of charity & trade stands. Seems like the bands were laid on for the whole afternoon, which is a shame for the later ones as it seemed many riders only turned up to get the T shirt then left. I had to get home for something in the afternoon, but was pleased to see Hell's Bells, & the Lizzy tribute before leaving. By that point about 80% of bikes had gone. So, would be up for it next year, but depending what else is happening that weekend!

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB

Been going for years and yes my various bikes get very hot, but this was the first time my 5 year old Fat Bob struggled so badly that I had to stop twice and this was only a few miles into the Welsh side of the bridge! The engine ECU light was coming on and I'd had enough of the ridiculously long queue that made riding a miserable endurance. Guy on a Breakout I got talking to was also struggling the same - but plenty of Sportsters seem to be ok, seems the big twins struggle more than the smaller engined Harleys.