Thread: Daymaker reflector vs Daymaker projector lights

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB

Daymaker reflector vs Daymaker projector lights

I fitted Daymaker reflector lights to my Heritage some time ago. The only issue I have with them is the light emitted is weak/washed out and they don’t throw a lot of actual light onto the road. There’s no definite pool of light tapering off like HID’s and other bikes lights. Don’t get me wrong, they light up an unlit road on a pitch black night great, but the light is spread and washed out. On roads with street lights the beam cannot be seen on the floor and when other lights are shone over the same area as mine they completely wipe out my beam pattern. Eg. The lights on friends Goldwing and FJR1300 both completely blow my LED beam away. I still wouldn’t go back to the originals as these are a massive improvement.

My question is, are the Harley Daymaker projector type LED lights as seen on the recent Ultras any better than the reflector type lights that I have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded

Re: Daymaker reflector vs Daymaker projector lights

I don't know about the Daymaker, but I fitted JW Speaker's Adaptive (puts a light array into corners as you keel over) LED headlight to my Street Glide last winter. Expensive, but I can't praise it enough. Probably the best bit of safety kit you'll ever buy. After checking out JW's website for the correct model number (e.g. left handed), I bought it via AR Harley Customs.

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB

Daymaker reflector vs Daymaker projector lights

Thanks for the reply. I recently looked at those you’ve got, they’re projector type LED lights if I’m not mistaken. Very expensive but they sound great. I fitted my daymaker reflector lights before the adaptive or even standard projector lights were available.

As I said I find the light emitted to be very weak and washed out. They certainly light up cats eyes and road signs etc in the distance, but they not so good picking out trees, people, buildings or anything else dark and non-reflective. They’re a massive improvement on the OEM lights but they just have no punch to them compared to other bikes, even compared to some pushbike lights these days.

Take last night for example, I was riding in total darkness along a narrow unlit twisty country lane with no road markings, no cats eyes, no white lines and side ditches. I’ve got white van man up my backside who obviously knows the road very well and thinks he’s in a race or something. Anyway, all I can see in my mirrors are headlights from him and the following cars. In front I see just headlights from the cars coming towards me. I ended up riding about 20mph just so I could safely make the bends in the road. When I eventually got to a junction there were about 15 cars behind me that I held up!

Another example.. riding on an unlit motorway the signs, cats eyes etc light up, but when cars come alongside to overtake me (or vice versa) their lights completely obliterate my weak washed out light pattern on the road in front.

I find this a common thing with LED lights in general.. Take the new style LED street lighting, it’s not a patch on the old yellow street lighting. Also I replaced my kitchen halogen lights with equivalent LED’s, they light the kitchen nice and bright but lack the punch and light spread of halogen.

I am wondering if the projector style LED lights have cured the problem on bikes.

I know the recent model Ultras have Daymaker Projector lights. What I’m trying to find out is how these compare to my reflector type lights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk