Thread: Front Brake Issues - 2000 fatboy FLSTF 1450

Total Downloaded

Question Front Brake Issues - 2000 fatboy FLSTF 1450

Hi, front brake on my Fatboy has started pulsing in my hand under braking, also it bounces a little at low speed when breaking.
    My first thought is as anyone would that the rotor disc is warped..
    Anyone had anything similar that isnt as simple as needing a new disc and pads before I go and spend my hard earned parts vouchers...
    Thanks in advance
    Garse

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    187.60 MB

Re: Front Brake Issues - 2000 fatboy FLSTF 1450

Quote Originally Posted by Garse View Post
    Hi, front brake on my Fatboy has started pulsing in my hand under braking, also it bounces a little at low speed when breaking.
    My first thought is as anyone would that the rotor disc is warped..
    Anyone had anything similar that isnt as simple as needing a new disc and pads before I go and spend my hard earned parts vouchers...
    Thanks in advance
    Garse
    That's exactly what mine does and it is a warped brake disc on mine. A winter job too rectify.

Before you buy another you could get it checked.
    .......They Say That Hard Work Never Hurt Anyone - But Why Risk It!

Total Downloaded
    266.01 MB

Pulsing is nearly always warped discs

A simple low tech check is to remove the wheel and put a straight edge across the disc. Test at the 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock positions and ideally you won't see any daylight between the disc and straight edge.

Worse case scenario if left is that the disc will push pistons back too far and leave you with extended lever travel and a lack of brakes when you don't need it.
    It's your club, have your say!

Anglia Region Rep (15)

I'm not completely useless, I'm a bad example
    Destroyer of Fine Motorcycles
    Idiot for Hire

www.karpettiger.co.uk

This calls for a delicate combination of psychology and extreme violence

Total Downloaded

Always worth eliminating poor fluid quality as a factor prior to more expensive parts replacement. If it's more than two years old, replace it - and check for any leaks that might allow moisture ingress while you are at it. Particularly if the bike spends a lot of time idle in the garage.

Total Downloaded
    37.26 MB

Remove the caliper from the bike, or force the pads back so they don't make contact with the disc. Tape anything....piece of welding wire.....screwdriver or anything you can use as a pointer for reference to the fork leg, so it's almost touching the disc. Spin the wheel and see what variation in gap you've got as it goes round. It needs to be such a small variation, you might not see it easily. I'm not sure what the manual suggests, but only a few thou warp is enough to make the MOT brake roller show it up. That's either a fail or an advisory. I get one every year.

While the caliper is unbolted from the bike, now is a good time to see if the pistons are seized or tight. Free them off anyway, and check the pads for even wear.

If you change the disc for a new one, make sure that where it contacts the hub, there are not bits of shit under it when you bolt it up. Common sense...I know, but it's often overlooked.

Then check the run out again to see how the new one performs, I've seen new discs that are warped straight out the box.

Brian.
    100 Anniversary Road King Classic.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.

Total Downloaded
    10.18 MB

you can easily damage a disc when changing a tire ,,, i did that a few years ago but managed to pull it back to true ,,

john
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD