Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Shovelhead Primary (FXEF late 84)

Total Downloaded
    5.55 MB

Re: Shovelhead Primary (FXEF late 84)

Seal - Spacer saga!

Please be aware, this mostly applies to late model shovelheads 82 on.

I received the spacer from W&W Cycles (77149) replaces OEM 35079-82A & 35079-84.

The spacer received does not have the groove shown in the picture on their website and is not teflon coated. I contacted W&W and they said that providing it is 11.1 thick, it is the correct part and the batch they are selling does not have the groove etc. The W&W spacer is the same as the one removed from the bike.

Warrs say that the 35079-84 part is not available anywhere and I should use 35079-82A, which is 10.1 mm thick. Boons have the 35079-84, but does not show Teflon coating and no picture of rear.

The seal listed to mate with the spacer 35079-84 is 37741-82. Two versions are available. One has a metal cover and the other is all rubber. My existing seal is rubber.

All of this is very confusing and does not correspond with my previous research, the main difference being the absence of the groove and Teflon.
    I have now conceded on the point and will go ahead and use the spacer provided by W&W.

My combination is now as follows;-

Spacer main drive gear - 35079-84 (W&W version 77149) 11.1 mm - no groove or teflon

Oil seal mainshaft to match above spacer - 37741-82 – all rubber version

Oil seal main drive gear – 12013A

O ring mainshaft - 11166

If it leaks – I will live with it, or take out the box and start from scratch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5037.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	31915
    35079-84

Name:	IMG_5041.jpg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	31916
    37741-82

Name:	IMG_5010.jpg 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	31917
    12013A

Name:	IMG_4943.jpg 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	31918
    11166 on the left
    Last edited by El Hombre; 14-02-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    No trains to heaven, the kingdom lies within - Be Bop Deluxe

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    10.85 MB

Congratulations my son, you have passed from novice to Grand Master of the Primary, all that is left now is for you to lift a red hot clutch basket with your forearms to attain the Scars of Honour and thence trek into the Plains of Unawareness to spread enlightenment....

Total Downloaded
    5.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    Congratulations my son, you have passed from novice to Grand Master of the Primary, all that is left now is for you to lift a red hot clutch basket with your forearms to attain the Scars of Honour and thence trek into the Plains of Unawareness to spread enlightenment....
    What a f*ckin nightmare! But, what a journey so far, really enjoying the task - I must have lost my mind.

The good news is - I just had a chat with Matt at Matt's Machine Shop and he reckons the set up is correct. Just put a little Threebond on the internal diameter of the spacer and grease up the rest. It's a doddle - yeah right................

Total Downloaded
    10.85 MB

Just wait until you achieve Transcendence - you will be able to identify primary leaks BEFORE they occur from passing your hands over someone's bike...

(at rallies people will cast spanners before you as you pass - it has happened before with Patrick Delli and Sportsters, Scriv with Forty-five...or was that dungarees?...and Hippy with trousers)
    Last edited by Paul P.; 14-02-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Total Downloaded
    86.96 MB

..and Hippy with trousers)
    Dont believe you. Never seen him in anything other than joggers, or hipster strides.

Total Downloaded
    5.55 MB

Just wait until you achieve Transcendence - you will be able to identify primary leaks BEFORE they occur from passing your hands over someone's bike...

(at rallies people will cast spanners before you as you pass - it has happened before with Patrick Delli and Sportsters, Scriv with Forty-five...or was that dungarees?...and Hippy with trousers)
    If I make it to a rally, I'll just stand around waiting for someone to say the word................

Total Downloaded
    10.85 MB

Well Tim, I must admit they COULD have been casting the spanners at him and not before him...?

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011