Thread: Overseas headlight to UK for MOT test

Total Downloaded
    15.26 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overseas headlight to UK for MOT test

I did a search on the forum and came up with a 2008 thread about North American headlights into the UK and replied to it to bring it back to life but it has vanished into the ether so will try a quick post.
    My 2000 FXDWG 1HD1 model is 5 days away from getting its export plates and leaving the sandpit forever to live back in the UK. Finally got the yellow indicators sorted after finding i had wrong wattage in the front which made the damn things stay on and not blink and the last thing i am concerned about is the headlight.
    It has the following markings at present on the lens.
    H4, 12.5, E1,A02, HC/R02, HG02, 14578, 24542, 24526, 50R-00514, Made in Germany

The beam pattern seems to throw 2 triangles up and away from centre.

The question to anyone who has imported an overseas, for want of a better phrase, LHD bike is; Can this unit be adjusted to meet the beam pattern requirements of a UK MOT?

Any help gladly received as a bit confused at the moment how my bike has what i believe is a German headlight lens (E1) but i may be totally wrong on this
    i had a look on part finder to find some wisdom but they only list one part number for the lens 67757-92A so that's not an awful lot of use at the moment

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    123.46 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Overseas headlight to UK for MOT test

Head light needs to dip to the centre or dip to the left. Some aftermarket lights dip to the centre.

Total Downloaded
    327.76 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanofmacc View Post
    It has the following markings at present on the lens.
    H4, 12.5, E1,A02, HC/R02, HG02, 14578, 24542, 24526, 50R-00514, Made in Germany

The beam pattern seems to throw 2 triangles up and away from centre.

The question to anyone who has imported an overseas, for want of a better phrase, LHD bike is; Can this unit be adjusted to meet the beam pattern requirements of a UK MOT?

Any help gladly received as a bit confused at the moment how my bike has what i believe is a German headlight lens (E1) but i may be totally wrong on this
    Sean - The E1 means it is approved for use in Europe. But it doesn’t specify if the dip mode is designed for driving in the right or left. The pictures demonstrate a dipped beam aimed at a wall and how/ why on the road. Obviously this dip direction is for driving on the right hand side. Adjusting the dip pattern to switch sides doesn’t work but the good news is that as the unit is an H4 (bulb type), good Hella reflector/lens assemblies are readily available at low cost to suit both sides of the roads. There are plenty of other brands out there and your H4 bulb can swap right in there also keeping the cost down.

you should decide if you do it only for getting the MOT or for also getting the right setup optimising what you can see without glare to oncoming road users. Your description of the beam pattern on the bike now sounds like the whole thing is rotated clockwise (out of adjustment). Look at the picture of the beam on the wall and imagine rotating the beam and moving it off centre. Bingo, two triangles emanating for centre beam....

What makes this work is the lens configuration - the two lens pics show the difference between RHD and LHD designated designs

good luck amd and let us know how you get on
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DFC284B8-E9E6-40DB-8F90-2C0CA9E89215.jpg   5A19EE4C-8D2D-4E0E-B19C-8887889FFD89.jpg   4521159F-A5A0-41C2-B91F-9B9A5B5CF541.jpg   9C53E171-0395-4E56-86C5-0CEF719263B2.jpg  
    Last edited by David Barnby; 23-01-2019 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Adding more pics

Total Downloaded
    15.26 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the information and the tip on Hella Dave, much appreciated thanks Sean

Total Downloaded
    15.26 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well just to round this thread off.

Bike finally arrived registered in my hands a week and a bit ago. It flew through the MOT with its KMH speedo and its overseas headlight which as the thread originally stated was fitted with a Hella Lens. My original plan to fit a similar Hella lens but left dip rather than the right dip went to rat shit when my local car parts dealer couldn't get any sense out of Hella (which i thought was strange), but i couldn't find on their on line catalogues either. The right hand dip yes, left hand dip, NO.
    Tried Jersey HD but they no longer any of the old stock and there are none available but they did have the later type clear lens at 100 quid !! Tony was good enough to send through screen shots of the newer lamp pages so a good job from him but not the result i was after.

Thought i would try Warrs after reading that they had stacks of stuff out the back from the older days and what super service it was from them with the guys rooting around to try and find a used example. They had loads of the newer type used (after they fit up bikes for living in France and Spain) and these are a retro fit. Well done Warrs for your help but not what i was after.

Was googling for my life and finally came across a NOS item in Scotland at V twin Mania for 45 quid. Magic. Arrives tomorrow so will be sorted. Just the speedo to sort and then some horse power adding when Alex gets back from his jolly in the sunshine.

Thanks for all the original help especially David