7.56 MB

Re: Big Blue vs Bike lift/ramp

Looking good
    Time out of mind

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    31.01 MB

Just ordered myself a big blue, arriving tomorrow! which is handy as I have some work to do on the Genny Shovel this weekend! I bought the standard beam mounts as it will be used on the 50 Rigid Frame and the FXR

Total Downloaded
    47.19 MB

Let us know how you find it please.
    Time is precious, waste it wisely.

Total Downloaded
    31.01 MB

Arrived this morning, assembled easily, I believe I have a 2020 version that now has a cover over the lifting mechanism

Had fresh paint to fit on the 50 and some work on the front end to sort so only tried that so far but lifts it easily from the primary side very sturdy even without adding the additional frame hooks. Maybe as it’s a rigid frame it’s more simple
    Will try the fxr over the weekend to see how it copes with that

Will need to find a way of storing it when not in use as it’s a fair size but with the wheels it’s very easily moved around my little garage

So far very pleased!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

Yes the cover looks new.

The only possible disadvantage over a far more costly (and almost certainly Chinese-made....f**k that) table lift is that with the Big Blue you do not have a bench at your fingertips to put tools on. But a $15 3-shelf trolley on wheels from Aldi fixed that, in my case.

It only takes one or two goes to get full confidence with securing bike to lift.

For accessibility, wheel removal and installation, etc, I think these big blue lifts are fantastic. Have a look at Chopper's front forks and wheel there and imagine how much access you would have, comparatively, with the bike on a big table. Huge difference.

I don't think they would work well in shops as mechanics need the old/new parts spread out at their fingertips on the table, and will have several bikes in stripdown at a time... but for the home mechanic these are unbeatable IMHO.
    Last edited by kiwidave; 31-10-2020 at 12:52 AM.

Total Downloaded
    231.66 MB

I bought one a couple of months ago and it's brilliant. Wheels off no problem, really secure. I was worried the first couple of times I used it but now feel really confident with it. No hydraulics to go wrong, easy to lift an inch off the floor or a foot of the floor. Access is brilliant around the whole of the bike, apart from where the lift is so I guess it depends on what job you are doing.
    And it just pushes out of the way when not in use.
    I ummed and ahhd about a bench or the big blue and I'm glad I went with the big blue.

Total Downloaded
    58.34 MB

The choice for me is down to space, if I had the space I'd have a table but I don't so it looks like the winner is in the blue corner. Good photo Neil, it shows its shape in profile well. Let us know how you get on with living with it. I have two FL's in a small space so every square inch counts.
    Region 7 Sec and Assistant Rep

Total Downloaded
    31.01 MB

FXR’s turn today, little bit trickier due to the side stand being mid mounted when lifting from the primary but as it didn’t matter to me just flipped the bike and very straightforward from the other side. I’m sure it’s possible from the primary side just would need to work out where to lift it from to avoid the stand or just remove if it may be easier

Must say after working on both bikes on this today I’m very chuffed with it, wish I’d got one years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total Downloaded
    7.56 MB

On the left you have to be careful not to catch the primary case on the lower protrusion of the lifter. I put the stand up and start mine sitting on the bike.

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...d-Primary-Side
    Time out of mind

Total Downloaded

I think the Big Blue looks great! I still prefer a solid lift, but this would be definitley my way to go, when if I couldn't use a lift for whatever reasons.

For those of you, who would prefer a real lift and don't have the space, you might want to dig a hole in your workshop and sink the lift in. When not in use, "it's just not there", so you can use the space for something else, but if you need it, just lift it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DOmr952G9s

Jens

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast