Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handlebar Grips

Total Downloaded
    12.53 MB

Handlebar Grips

Ive got a pair of old style "coke bottle" grips fitted but am recently suffering from really stiff joints in my hands even after short rides (and on a day to day basis im afraid). Now, i do have some Kuryakyn ISO grips in my garage which i only removed for aesthetic reasons. They have been off for years. My question is in your experience will refitting the Iso grips help or, as my missus has suggested, should i get some heated grips? Or have you any other ideas? Its an Evo so vibrates a bit anyway but i dont want to change the bike!

Or do i sell the bike and buy a sportscar? Dont answer that one :P
    Last edited by Realbark; 05-03-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    33.97 MB

Handlebar Grips

I find heated grips help with my creaky hands. @chopper on this forum has previously recommended low profile heated grips, these fit under whichever ‘normal’ grips you want to use.

I found these on eBay, but there are higher end versions available.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F322574571928

As for vibration, a set of bar end weights for £20 should do you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Total Downloaded
    12.53 MB

Re: Handlebar Grips

Thanks Tik Tok - i hadnt considered these. Ill have a look. Re the vibration, i have inserts in the bars themselves that are supposed to assist but - they are a type of expandle damper if that makes sense. For the bars more tham the bar ends/grips. Ill keep looking

Total Downloaded
    21.02 MB

Ayup Tone, I don't want to put the wind up you or owt like that, but the "fault" might actually be you rather than the grips. I speak from experience. Just turned 60 & nowadays I can barely ride 5 or 6 miles without my hands going dead. I have to let go of the bras one at a time to let the feeling come back. I too tried the Kuryakyn iso grips, expecting them to be an answer to a maidens prayer, but t'was not so. It seems that the nerves in the hand/wrist joint suffer with age & you end up with summat like carpal tunnel syndrome & any sort of grips probably won't overcome that. There was someone in the USA making special gloves that helped enormously, but they seem to have faded away, you might be able to track them down on the harleytechtalk.com site. Oops, typo, should have read let go of the bars! The only grips that I think might help you have a cam lobe profile, they were pretty common years ago. You can try this at home by taping summat like a pencil cut down to the length of your present grips, thus giving you the profile. Basically, it lets your curling fingers take the strain rather than your whole hand squeezing the grip. Try various positions for the pencil till you find one that helps. It might help, it might not, but it won't cost a packet to try. Hope this helps you out darlink.

Total Downloaded
    29.27 MB

I've found that my heated grips certainly help my creaky hands!

Total Downloaded
    12.53 MB

After your input ive been reviewing the oxford and kuryakyn heated grips ( im not convinced by the low profile type as grip thicknesses vary wildly so to my mind so will the warmth ) - now i dont mind either but i like an uncluttered look on my bars, so any suggestions where the control panel for heateds could be mounted effectivley by which i mean off the bars but still reachable? My own thoughts are down by the choke or off the stem nut cover? Both are reasonably out of the elements. Any thoughts?

Total Downloaded
    21.02 MB

Ayup Tone, on my Softy, I mounted a fag lighter socket underneath the coil cover. You'd prob have to change the plug on the grips, but you'd also be able to use the socket for battery charging & to plug the Satnav in, unless you have one o dem mobile thingy's. HTH.

Total Downloaded
    12.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by mr. pitts View Post
    Ayup Tone, on my Softy, I mounted a fag lighter socket underneath the coil cover. You'd prob have to change the plug on the grips, but you'd also be able to use the socket for battery charging & to plug the Satnav in, unless you have one o dem mobile thingy's. HTH.
    I have just had a double USB socket wired to the bike for phones, tablet charging etc. The USB connector has a low amp rated fuse in line. Now, could the heated grips be wired in prior to the inline fuse as the direct feed off the battery is at 12V, and still retain the integrity of the USB conn which is a max 2.1A draw. The USB conn is permanently live but will be used only rarely.
    Last edited by Realbark; 16-03-2019 at 07:56 PM.

Total Downloaded
    21.02 MB

Ayup Tone, I'm not a 'leccy techie, so I can't help much more. Sounds like a job for Gizmo if he's still around. Sorry m'dear.

Total Downloaded
    35.22 MB

My Dyna vibrates quite a bit, so I fitted "Grip Puppies", (£13.00), over my standard Harley grips. I also fitted them to my softail and BMW RT Tourer. Used them all last Spring/Summer. Very comfortable quick and inexpensive fix with less vibration felt in the hands.
    Tony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast