Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second Battery - Mad or Rad?

Total Downloaded

Re: Second Battery - Mad or Rad?

I installed an Antigravity unit on my 2006 Lowrider then padded the free space in the battery box out with anti-vibration mounts for additional protection. An excellent piece of kit and, as you say, good support from the vendor.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    38.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    Can't help thinking of hover bikes every time you say "antigravity"!!
    Hover's bike defies a few things but gravity ain't one of them.... especially when he's sitting on it!
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    10.18 MB

after Apollo ,s wife Morag had a lithium battery catch fire ,,, i think i will stick to the tried and tested battery

john
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

'The purpose' is just to stop the Antigravity (Zooom) battery blowing up during MoT and maintenance. The lead acid battery will only be attached behind the primary as and when needed - the Antigravity can't cope with multi button starts. There's no room in the original space for the original battery so I had to get inventive if I am to turn the engine over on the button multiple times, as John says - lithium objects in a big way. That's the only reason for doing this, I'm not running two batteries at the same time.

You won't get me on a hover bike, they must handle worse than a CX500, surely?
    Born free
    Bound to live
    Dead happy

Total Downloaded
    241.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Hector H Taylor View Post
    'The purpose' is just to stop the Antigravity (Zooom) battery blowing up during MoT and maintenance. The lead acid battery will only be attached behind the primary as and when needed - the Antigravity can't cope with multi button starts. There's no room in the original space for the original battery so I had to get inventive if I am to turn the engine over on the button multiple times, as John says - lithium objects in a big way. That's the only reason for doing this, I'm not running two batteries at the same time.

You won't get me on a hover bike, they must handle worse than a CX500, surely?

"..battery blowing up." I didn't see that one coming. Purpose now clearly understood. You'll attach the l/a when it goes for inspection.
    If it seems I occasionally ask a dim sort of question, sometimes it's from trying to understand how all your MoT regs, which seem to be so deeply intertwined with the insurance regs, and seem to affect what parts you can install (or not) that it might pass inspection. I have a curiosity about such things and have sampled your goverment's websites concerning them (with indifferent success). We have neither insur. or inspctns here in Fla., so all these hoops & hurdles ya'll have to get through just to keep from being stopped-n-skint, raise a howl of sympathy from over here.

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB

As promised I have dug up my email to Antigravity. I asked if Antigravity Paul objected to the whole thing being posted here -he did not so here it is.

Subject:
    Sales Enquiry
    Hi. I'm going to ask a question you won't want to answer, I guess? I have beenreading all the naysayer comments about lithium batteries - apparently my bikewill burst into flames etc... Is this a real problem? I could really do with asmaller battery as I need the space occupied by the OEM but I don't want adisaster on my hands. Also I don't want to be stranded. My bike is HD FXEF withelectric start. Can you reassure me at all please?
    Cheers
    Andrew

Hi Andrew,
    I don't mind the question at all. There is a lot ofmisinformation about lithium batteries out there and I'm always glad to try toeducate anybody interested enough to ask.
    Our lithium batteries are made from lithium ion phosphate,the most stable material of the lithium family. If you accept that it's not alead acid or gell battery and that different rules apply regarding it'sinstallation and use, you'll find that it's a very safe, stable and efficientunit. But make no mistake, if you disrespect it and don't follow the rules, youcan get into a shed load of trouble.
    Basically the unit is very safe and is only adverselyaffected by either overcharge or over discharge. Both of these situations beingthe fault of the vehicle on which it has been installed and NOT THE BATTERY. Ifyou allow it to over discharge (go flat) it will lose it's ability to eitheraccept or retain a charge, rendering it useless. This is not a fault of thebattery as it cannot discharge on its own, this can only happen if affected byan outside influence e.g. user error (leaving lights or ignition on) or aparasitic drain or bad electrics on the bike.
    Far more dangerous, is the overcharge situation and therules are very specific regarding this. A maximum charge rate of 14.5v is anabsolute necessity and a modern electronic voltage regulator in good workingcondition is essential as this will provide a smooth, constant voltage belowthe critical overcharge level. It's simple really, if your charging system isefficient and in good working order, you will never have a problem. If youignore this then ensuing problems will be of your making. I had a guy complainbecause he had a lithium battery melt down on his bike and his charging systemwas ONLY "a little bit out of spec." This to me is like beinga"little bit pregnant " you either are, or aren't - you're in spec. andsafe or out of spec. and in the danger zone.
    Most early bikes have old fashioned points type voltageregulators which, if they malfunction, can and usually put a high voltage"spike" (sometimes over 20v) through the battery, the results arecatastrophic yet some owners/installers choose to ignore this possibility. Allbikes manufactured before 1990 are recommended to have replacement electronicregulators fitted before installing a lithium battery are the regulators arenow at least 26 years old and in danger of failing.
    Mostly all of the complaints that we hear are the result ofignorance (not researching the product before purchase or installation) orindifference (expecting that if it doesn't happen on a conventional battery,then it won't happen with a lithium one) Most problems are self inflicted andthe case of "a bad workman always blames his tools"
    We have literally hundreds of lithium batteries safelyfitted to bikes, cars, boats and light aircraft without problem and wouldn't beable to sell them if they represented a problem. I agree that they arehazardous but no more so than petrol or sulphuric acid, all safe as houses whenused and handled correctly but hazardous if not.
    I hope that this clarifies things for you Andrew. If you needmore advice or information, please don't hesitate to contact me again. I can bereached on 01702 301664 during normal office hours.

Best regards,
    Paul.
    Born free
    Bound to live
    Dead happy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12