Thread: After 27 years..........new bike

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: After 27 years..........new bike

Lovely looking bike, sorry to hear the old FXEF has gone....how about one more look for old times?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0011.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	32191

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    46.12 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice . Look forward to some updates as the miles rack up Dave. A pleasant change to hear of a dealership that accomodates a customers requests .I take it the mods you've done won't affect the warranty ? Dealers here are notoriously fickle "sorry sir, thats not covered."

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Yukon Sizzler View Post
    Very nice . Look forward to some updates as the miles rack up Dave. A pleasant change to hear of a dealership that accomodates a customers requests .I take it the mods you've done won't affect the warranty ? Dealers here are notoriously fickle "sorry sir, thats not covered."
    Good question. Nope. This dealer did all this work, happily got me S&S air intake and mufflers, V&H headers, PV Dynojet tune..... and they stand behind it with full H-D warranty. And was happy to install top-quality USA-made parts they had never seen before i.e. Super Shox, Patriot fork springs, Freedom Shield screen.

Why? ''Well, these are obviously good bits, and you are spending plenty with us...no issue.'' Which is why i travelled 200 miles from home to buy this bike from a non-Melbourne dealer, because the big city dealerships here are notorious, shall we say.

The dealer I bought this off is run by a family of motorcycle enthusiasts, not a venture capital/car-franchise group. And the male members of the family ride and work on Pans and Shovels. We were once on a Shovel run up near them maybe 7-8 years ago and we turned up to the shop on our old kickstart leakers because a couple of the guys had issues, needed parts, etc. The dealer principal loaned one of us a battery to get home, got his mechanic to sort out other shit on another bike for free. I have a very long memory, and I told the owner last week exactly why I was buying a bike and spending a LOT with him. He was gratified. So was I. They did me a great deal overall. And I got a nice discount without even asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    Lovely looking bike, sorry to hear the old FXEF has gone....how about one more look for old times?

Name:	scan0011.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	32191
    Ha ha ha ha ha!!! To paraphrase our 1980s local hero down here, Mick 'Crocodile' Dundee: ''That's not green - THIS was GREEN!!''

Total Downloaded
    108.21 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
    Yes. Just needed to add ABS bearings. Until a year ago a chrome version was available in the parts catalog but it is no longer offered. But there are NOS/new takeoffs of these wheels all over the internet. They do fit 2019 touring bikes.
    Thanks dave. I assume they used the road glides spacers??
    I want to change the front wheel on the street glide, to the one you have.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Halal Tim View Post
    Thanks dave. I assume they used the road glides spacers??
    They used ''front wheel install kit 41454-08B'' to make that 2011/12 wheel fit my 2019. That kit comprises ABS bearings and spacers (rear wheel ''install kit'' was 41453-08C)

See here: https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...stallation-kit

Total Downloaded
    108.21 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks dave. I used a similar kit when i put a deuce rear wheel on the wide glide.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a little update if anyone is interested...

Done 3000 miles on the Road Glide now. It's sensational in every respect.

A friend of mine down here summed it up perfectly to me recently, after asking how I am enjoying the new bike. He is an MC member, an engineer/motor builder and he really knows his shit and has had a generator shovel for 25 years but as with all those he has regular ''issues'' because he likes to tinker for horsepower.

He bought a 2012 TC Road Glide a year ago. I was stunned as I had no idea he had any interest in a highway sofa. But no. ''Climb on, push button and GO. Sydney and back in a day if need be. A trouble-free bike like this just brings back the joy to motorcycling, mate.''

SO TRUE. On mine, I have been so focused on getting comfortable with the handling and braking and acceleration and all that stuff (never ridden any kinda touring Harley beforehand) and the traffic on my 100-mile daily round trip commute that I have actually literally NOT SWITCHED ON the screen and tried out the music/GPS/infotainment. Not heard a sound through the speakers. No laughing.....

I am saving all that tech stuff for a week off when I can pore over the 2019 H-D BOOM!GTS manual and figure how to work it all out. For now, the M8 motor is the music.

The pipes/mufflers now have a lovely worn-in throb and the noise at idle is almost as lovely as that of the big block 430 in my 1968 Buick. If you do go with the Grand National slip-ons, keep the removeable ''quietener'' tube in, because it's more than loud enough without removing it. It rumbles lusciously at idle, but barks like it should on the freeway.

I am guessing it's thanks to the V&H (catless) true dual header pipes, but I've never had a hint of excess heat in heavy city traffic. Very happy with torque and acceleration, and the engine braking is always grunty and there's not been one pop or fart at all. I'll again assume that the dealership that sold me the bike knew what they were doing when installing the Stage 2 cam and marrying that and the S&S intake etc via Dynojet Powervision. SET and FORGET.

I have no idea how this bike performs compared to bone stock, and I will never know, but I am 100% happy.

I do a lot of freeway miles so six gears don't seem like one too many, but I have already had one camera ticket. Ahem. 80mph feels like standing still.

I've got a 500-mile winter camping weekend for Shovelheads only coming up in 10 days. I'm actually wondering if I will enjoy riding that a distance now compared to the FLTRX. I have not been on the Shovel in 8 weeks. After that party, my 1980 FXWG is going on to club rego i.e. 90 days riding permitted a year for 55 quid annual fee, instead of daily riding (if I want) for 400 quid a year. And the leaky motor is getting a total teardown and refresh.

Last edited by kiwidave; 29-05-2019 at 05:54 AM.

Total Downloaded
    108.21 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad your getting on with it dave.
    Ive never ridden a shovel, or an evo, but would imagine the jump up in comfort etc is huge.

I borrowed a street glide special 114 last week.
    Very impressed. Bone stock, and it pulled like a train in every gear. Loads of torque. Oddly enough, reminds me of the old yamaha RD. Very easy to ride, nice gearbox.
    Very japanese in manners. Not a bad thing for me, others may not agree.
    The only downside for me was when you changed gear, you could feel it pulsing up the clutch line. Very odd sensation.
    But otherwise, a very nice engine.
    Do i want one, yes.
    Would i pay £22500 for one, no.
    Not that its a bad bike, far from it, but not worth the 10K i would have to chuck in on top of my bike to get one.

I have a 2014 103 TC, slightly moded by alex.
    Fullsac headers and modified cans.
    107 ponies, 114 torque.
    Its no slouch. I would imagine the 114 is in the same ballpark power wise, but it is so much smoother to ride.

If the TC ever gets battered or nicked, the 114 is the replacement.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Halal Tim View Post
    107 ponies, 114 torque. Its no slouch. I would imagine the 114 is in the same ballpark power wise
    In stock form it's nowhere near yours ...

Name:	18-softail-114-stock.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	32395

Total Downloaded
    108.21 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi alex.
    that has surprised me.
    it felt it had much more than mine.
    then again, i dont hammer my bike, i did however, flog the nackers off the demo bike.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast