Thread: Shovelhead wiring

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shovelhead wiring

I may have mentioned that whilst I’m customising my Shovel, I am keeping many of the visible things that make it a Harley from the period. To this end I’m keeping the OEM handlebar switches.
    I am using a Motogadget M unit, an M button and M lock and drew up a completely new wiring loom around their use. I was congratulating myself until I noticed that the kill switch didn’t have anywhere to wire up to. I wracked my brains for a bit and threw the towel in when the second beer helped no more than the first.

A quick email to Motogadget got me a reply in passable English from 'Support 1'. The odd thing about the reply was the time of night the message was sent; over the course of a few emails I developed the theory that Support 1 deals with his emails when he’s finally got home from his main job of creating electronic wizardry...
    Anyway, turns out that if you’re using an M button (highly desirable if you intend using an internal throttle – the wires are miniscule and from the M button to the M unit there is only one very thin wire!), you can’t have a kill switch...

After pressing Support 1 a bit further we found that the kill switch could be spliced into the wiring for the M lock. This was unexpected as it’s a wireless ignition switch (RFID) that you would think couldn’t be messed with. Depending on which side of the M lock you splice in the kill switch you can have it disrupt power until you throw the switch back to 'run' without waving the fob around, or have it kill the bike until you re-set the M lock with the fob. Pretty awesome considering the initial disappointment!

The point of this message is to big-up the service from Motogadget, it is fantastic and, providing you can stay awake, is dealt with on the same day.

I have another issue that Service 1 can’t help with. I’ll stew on it for a couple more days and will probably be back here for help...
    Born free
    Bound to live
    Dead happy

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    11.10 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Shovelhead wiring

Hi Hector.
    Fully agree with you. Just fitted an m.unit blue to my 2000 FXD. Excellent piece of kit and the support team are really helpful.
    Didn't need the m.lock as I am using the bluetooth to trigger the ignition.
    Have been able to completely replace the TSM.

Sent from my SM-T595 using Tapatalk

Total Downloaded
    263.51 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not convinced that giving a Shovelhead a brain of it's own to think with is in the best interest of mankind

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded
    6.56 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by last shovel View Post
    I'm not convinced that giving a Shovelhead a brain of it's own to think with is in the best interest of mankind
    I just heard a creaking noise from the garage.............................
    Time out of mind

Total Downloaded
    38.15 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by last shovel View Post

Having looked at the Motogadget site, and the spec for this bit of kit, I'm minded to agree with you.

My hat goes off to those who think up and install this sort of kit. I'm sure it's brilliant.

Me, i'll stick to my old points, condenser and metal ignition key, thanks.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    12.62 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevscrivener View Post

Me, i'll stick to my old points, condenser and metal ignition key, thanks.
    Although I don't ride a Shovel (I have two '89 Evo's) I do agree with you...

Not only is 'period correct' the way to go (with some appropriate upgrades),

But I've a very jaundiced view of a lot of this modern technology on bikes...

I don't like LED headlamps, bluetooth, canbus, ABS, fuel injection, etc. etc.

I guess I'm just an unreconstructed Luddite... and, really happy to be so!

Good luck to all that can, and do, embrace the 'new'... you're welcome to it

Total Downloaded
    10.24 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old saying KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID,

is there any real advantage,,, i don't think so ,,

good luck with it ,,its your bike as they say ,

john
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD

Total Downloaded
    38.15 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devon.john View Post
    old saying KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID,

is there any real advantage,,, i don't think so ,,

good luck with it ,,its your bike as they say ,

john
    To be fair, there probably is if you can deal with and understand the technology. On a build like this, where it's all new tech, it's fine.

The pitfalls come when you start mixing old stuff with new. Good friend of mine put a fancy electronic ignition system on his Indian Chief, but didn't bother to change the old plug leads, for the simple and understandable reason that the modern ones which came with it " didn't look right". It failed.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    10.24 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the very thing ANDY is keeping is the switch gear ,,,witch is the parts i am about to replace ,, failed after the first hour of use after a total rewire with new dip switch and thats the one that went caput

the new secondhand fatboy switches arrived yesterday from the states

john
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I'm happy with the can of worms I've opened...

Last Shovel - neither of us had a brain, we discussed who should receive it and the Shovel won.

Kev - Points retained (in fact converted from OEM electronic ignition) and spare set carried on the bike.

David - The wiring was a mess, barely holding together and in urgent need of replacement. I weighed up the re wire as original against something potentially more reliable (!?) In essence, the M-Unit replaces some of the fuses and all the relays (apart from the starter) etc. It's a terrific bit of kit.

John - Motogadget stuff is awesome and simpler to use than you would think. There is a Revival video showing a determined effort to destroy an M-Unit. They failed. They didn't use a hammer - just lots of deliberate high voltage shorts.

Kev - Pitfalls will be honestly reported, if there are any.

Cheers!
    Born free
    Bound to live
    Dead happy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast