Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You try and do the right thing and it still ends up shit and you're out of pocket

Total Downloaded
    15.26 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You try and do the right thing and it still ends up shit and you're out of pocket

Major fecking gripe day.
    So the old back wheel on the 2000 WG as showing some surface rust (the front was rebuilt before being shipped) and as its 19 years old, I thought I would replace it out of course with an after market chrome job at 250 quid from a reputable supplier.
    Had a bastard of a job getting the old disc bolts out that took best part of a day to complete and then off to the dealer to hand over 10 quid on 5 new ones
    Got royally raped on a Harley inner tub and swapped the tyre onto the new rim this morning.
    Fantastic, take 5 mins to slot in the new wheel and away for a test ride with new wheel and tube. Yeh fecking right. The bastard thing is not the right size despite assurances. The swing arm has to be prized open to get the spacers in and then the disc is dragging on the pads so tightly that the wheel barely turns with shit loads of force on it.
    Tried it without the wide spacer (drive side) and still dragging
    without any spacers or the caliper it spins on the axle but nothing likes as freely as the original harley part.

So moral of the story. Feck trying to do the right thing. There was only mild surface rust in places on the inside of the original rim after 19 years service. This is the last aftermarket part I order.
    So why don't i just bolt the sprocket and disc back on the original and refit the tyre? because i made a right balls up of the disc threads getting the bolts out.
    Have emailed the supplier of the wheel but not had a response yet. Hopefully he will take this thing back. I have asked if it was supposed to come with slightly different spacers.
    Tried to work out if i could figure out what spacers were actually needed but brain exploded. Time to break open shit loads of Stella and think of a new plan somehow.
    Hope you all had a better day

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    12.79 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: You try and do the right thing and it still ends up shit and you're out of pocket

If its not the right size then despite "assurances" send it back for a full refund as not fit for purpose. Fix it til its broke springs to mind. Lets hope the Stella is still in date and the wifes not about eh? .
    Only dead fish swim with the tide

Total Downloaded
    15.26 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: You try and do the right thing and it still ends up shit and you're out of pocket

I am fortunate that the wife feeds me stella when i have that fecked off look in my eye, until i keel over. She is a good un
    Its gonna have to go back and though it grieves me, its either a MOCO new item or Devon prices. May try and clean up the threads on the original hub and get a new rim for good measure. Either way its been an expensive and frustrating shit day

Total Downloaded
    6.56 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sucks, had a few days and nights like that. Wrong gaskets, wrong filter etc. Late at night in the freezing cold and you have to start all over again! Given up on some of these suppliers, they are complete wankers.

Hope you get it sorted.

Rod
    Time out of mind

Total Downloaded
    12.79 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you get it sorted mate. That sort of thing is a mare. I bought some stuff recently from china thru ebay. 4 out of 5 bits fitted. The one that didnt caused me a shedload of hassle but sorted now.
    Only dead fish swim with the tide

Total Downloaded
    15.26 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just shown the wife the basil fawlty sketch with him beating the Austin estate with a branch. (she is a foreigner and not party to it first time around). Yes that was me this afternoon. The poor neighbours, they have had to listen to me all afternoon trying to beat the wheel into submission with abuse.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many years ago I ordered a large spoke aftermarket front wheel for my Wide Glide. I called the supplier in the US and was assured "it goes straight in". Those exact words. I asked whether they were sure etc... same response.

Of course it bloody didn't. I called the supplier who said "What did you expect? It's an aftermarket part. They never fit".

I ended up getting new spacers made at a local engineering workshop.

I am sure it will look great when it's done.

Mick

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Total Downloaded
    21.02 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you intend buying genuine HD parts, then shop with HD Jersey & at least you won't pay VAT. Unless that's all changed now.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jersey HD is still VAT free but of course there are shipping charges to be taken into account.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup easy to end up costing double the money or money and lost time if your not rich and trying to save a few quid!!!! Really f'ing frustrating did the same myself last month.
    Spent 100£ to save 30£ now have to spend 130£ to get the right stuff!! Total 230£
    still saving up for that!!!!
    rofl gotta laugh sometimes or its all over
    Last edited by howo; 28-05-2019 at 11:24 PM.
    OMG it started !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast