Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You try and do the right thing and it still ends up shit and you're out of pocket

Total Downloaded
    15.26 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: You try and do the right thing and it still ends up shit and you're out of pocket

After nursing the hangover, went out with the tape measure and hey ho, flange to flange width is 5mm longer on the "definitely will fit" wheel. Contacted the supplier and its going back for a refund however out of pocket with tyre fitting etc. Lesson learned, trust no one or at least try out before fitting the tyre.

So cup of tea and then onto fitting the replacement MPH speedo kindly sent through by Watchman, can't thank you enough on here but beers are in the back. All being well that's just a plug and play being that its an 99-03 part though local dealership ensures me it wont lol.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    12.79 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: You try and do the right thing and it still ends up shit and you're out of pocket

Quote Originally Posted by seanofmacc View Post
    . All being well that's just a plug and play being that its an 99-03 part though local dealership ensures me it wont lol.
    Lol - most dealers know jack shit about any bike more than 10-15 years old. Theres some good individuals in some of the dealers but generally its "computer says NO" - fuck me its a screw/washer/filter. I dont expect em on the shelf these days but i would like the bloke im dealing with to actually remove the glass-eyes from his arse and engage outside the realms of the on-line catalogue. NO i dont wanna trade up to an M8 Mate, i just want an oil filter for me bike . That fits of course.
    Only dead fish swim with the tide

Total Downloaded
    263.51 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seanofmacc View Post
    After nursing the hangover, went out with the tape measure and hey ho, flange to flange width is 5mm longer on the "definitely will fit" wheel. Contacted the supplier and its going back for a refund however out of pocket with tyre fitting etc. Lesson learned, trust no one or at least try out before fitting the tyre.

So cup of tea and then onto fitting the replacement MPH speedo kindly sent through by Watchman, can't thank you enough on here but beers are in the back. All being well that's just a plug and play being that its an 99-03 part though local dealership ensures me it wont lol.

Say..... would laying'em, with spacers in place, on their identical sides (and/or either), on a very flat and hard surface, for a side by side comparison, have told you of the error before you went through enough effort to qualify for Stella rations ? As a rough comparator I mean, as I'm uncertain as to what percent of the H-D owning public in Merry Old would keep a vernier caliper in their tool box.

Mysef, I'm by far too lazy to go lifting anything as heavy as a wheel without knowing the chances of a perfect fit are bettr'n ninty-nine and a half. Speaking only of critical performance parts, such as wheels, my experience with aftermarket tells me get the old and new together and compare very closely ; if it won't exactly match-up on the bench first, then the repo part likely ain't goint to match-up exactly on the bike and but small effort should prove that out, one way or t'other. A scientific method built upon decades of unremitted lazinessness of the highest standard.

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded
    15.26 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Stephen. Hindsight is indeed a wonderful concept, however it is nearly always learned from a painful experience, that we would all rather forget.
    I should never have married my first wife 30 years ago but she gave great head and wore stockings for work every day and being 30 years younger at the time, I couldn't see further than the next BJ.
    When assurances had been given on fitment and when that shiny wheel was pulled from the cardboard box, I was blinded by the chrome and set to it with my new bolts and then off to the tyre fitter. Just as the blow jobs disappeared from the first wifes daily activities, so did the metaphorical shininess of the chrome.
    Lesson learned and I do have a vernier all be it a digital one these days as my eyes are shot to pieces

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12