Thread: primary noise

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

primary noise

My 2011 Road King has suddenly started making an 'orrible grinding/meshing noise from my primary area (sounds like), when the clutch is engaged or actually in neutral yet is fine when in gear. Internet seems to think it might be the inner primary bearing. Anyone else had this? She has done 15,000 miles.
    Last edited by muz; 24-06-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: primary noise

Pull the cover off and have a look. There were issues with the earlier automatic chain tensioners over tightening the chain and trashing the bearing.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine went. 2010 RK. On my RK when u set the belt tension to the factory manual when the engine gets to full operating temp the belt was so tight there was 0 deflection in it and tight as a ducks bum. Over tensioning the main shaft.
    Symptoms where metal on metal whining. Getting worse. Till eventually, when hot, screeching on pull away till pedestrians turn to look. I also thought pulling in the clutch reduce the noise while riding along when I was trying to diagnose it.
    I replaced it using club tools and some brought sockets and such like. And got my friendly HD dealership to press out the old bearing and fit new to the case. You can do it your self but I was scared of cracking the case. It’s not that hard if your keen and have a manual. You tube is your friend here, I watched an old boy do it in a couple of hours (stripping it all down). Took me a couple of days wrenching (plenty of beer breaks) with a few days to finesse the local HD stealers lol.
    only way to find out is to get the clutch out and the rear primary case of and have a look at the bearing and bush on main shaft. Which is basically doing the job already.
    i now set the belt tension with the engine hot to the correct tension.
    my chain tensioner was fine. It can over tension but in extreme riding, faulty part or fitting, drag racing etc if the chain is forced to really flex it may go a click but I reaction personally that it’s very rare. More likely the belt.
    But easy enough to take off the primary cover and have a look.
    good luck.
    Last edited by howo; 24-06-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    OMG it started !!!!!

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the ideas,turned out to be the starter motor.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by muz View Post
    Thanks for the ideas,turned out to be the starter motor.
    glade u got it sorted.....
    OMG it started !!!!!