Thread: Newbie soon to be owner

Total Downloaded
    33.97 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie soon to be owner

Short shots are the typical sportster pipe upgrade as they are inexpensive and loud. There are better options out there. I like 2:1 systems, less common and nicer to look at. When I converted my Sportster to a 48" look-a-like, I went this route.

The 48 has shorter rear shocks (11") which means your tyre will be rubbing on the inside of the fender on max compression and the bike will be grounding out over imperfect road surfaces. Adding a pillion to this will make for an uncomfortable ride.

A more subtle set of mods would be a set of Kellerman (or whatever) micro indicators and combines stop/turn/rear light sets. These will slim down the lines of your bike and make it look sleeker.

Tank range on the 48 is around 85 miles, due to the smaller peanut tank.

I'd suggest you ride it and decide what mods to make after you have covered 1000 miles and know the bike. It might be that you want something different.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie soon to be owner

When I bought my Sportie 2 years ago it had some slash cut open pipes with baffles. It sounded quite good but was loud. On the MoT the H-D shop had to advise that the exhaust was loud.
    Even with the load exhaust on, it did not stop a young woman stepping out in front of me - she was looking at her phone and had ear plugs in so was blissfully unaware of her surroundings.
    What I noticed was that after about 50 miles I was getting tired of the noise even with earplugs in.
    So I removed the baffles and wrapped them in wadding before reinserting them. It hardly made any noticeable difference. I still got tired of the stacatto noise when riding and I still got an advisory on the MoT, so I started looking for some standard mufflers.
    I must be one of the few people who has gone from noisy to standard although I must admit I was slightly tempted to drill some holes though the catalytic converter. There is still sufficient noise but it is a lot more mellow. The only thing is that it does not "sound" as quick. Previously, the noise rose quickly so it sounded as though it was quicker. With it being quieter it just sounds different. Not too sure if it has made any difference to the performance.
    By the way, even though my mufflers were described as slip-on they are anything but. On the Sporties with fuel injection there is a balance pipe and getting the mufflers to slide onto the exhaust pipe and onto the balance pipe is a PITA even with all the pipe loosened off.
    As others have said there is now a strong possibility that they will start to trial noise metering with ANPR leaving you open to receiving a letter through the post from Mr Police.
    If you do go with a louder exhaust I would tend to keep the original just in case in the future you find you are forced by legislation to revert to standard.

As regards accessories there are other independent suppliers with prices that are much more reasonable, e.g. Hog Parts, V-Twin Mania etc.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12