Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: please tell me not to get one!!! Help !!!!!!!!!

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: please tell me not to get one!!! Help !!!!!!!!!

Oh I did understand the difference, hence the "for what its worth" opening - had in mind more like backing up Howo's point about moving them big 'uns about! In my case I started to do what worked fine with the Electra, stand on its left, holding the bars with my right hip against the bike but in the end I had to move it sat astride it and it felt like moving the Electra with a pillion still sat upon it! (this was the actual bike)
    Name:  Streetglide demo.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  79.4 KB
    Last edited by Paul P.; 09-07-2019 at 07:35 PM.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    108.21 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a 103 twinkie, not an M8.
    Still a top bike.
    In sunderland grey.

Last edited by Halal Tim; 09-07-2019 at 07:47 PM.

HE WHO HINGETH ABOOT, GETTETH HEEHAW.

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Damn, so I still have yet to try an M8 then! (this one handled well, braked well - at last! - and took off like a scalded cat)

(oh damn again - the reason I took it out was to enter a factory competition dependant on having an M8 testride, so looks like I never even entered!!)

Total Downloaded
    12.65 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    Damn, so looks like I never even entered!!)
    As the bishop said to the actress to paraphase
    Only dead fish swim with the tide

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked her up and headed out of Chelsea. Filtering through the traffic no problems. The bags aren’t that wide and I didn’t notice I had them on at all. Hit the A3 and got some on, wow, compared to my 2010 96 RK she Doth Moveth a bit swift. Constant power on from just over 2 and at 3thou plus she’s positively egging you on. You have to shut the throttle to stop her accelerating. Reminded me of when the Kawa 900’s 1st came out “sneeze and you’ll be planted in the boot of the car in front” but ofc I just got off My old RK..
    At 70 she’s around 3 thou and there’s bags more power to come. Didn’t need to get her much over 4000 revs in any gear and ofc in 6th that would be illegal init. Overtakes easily in 6th at 70 and more without down shifting.
    front fly screen dose what the fly screen on my sporty dose, stop your body being a parachute. Wind noise at Mway speeds may be better without it but you’d pay the price in parachute practice. Higher screen option may be better? Or not but it’s fine for me. I’m 5’ 10ish with 30” stumps, fit the forwards pegs nps. Bars for me were a bit high and shoulders after 50odd miles began to a ache a bit. Could have been from hanging on from the thrust though lol
    No vibes at all that I noticed at stand still, but there was high pitched vibes in the bars and pegs at MWay speeds that may? become a problem with all day riding but weren’t a prob on my 70 mile ride (not all on M way) Bike had standard hard rubber grips. Softer would help.
    before the ride I cranked up the rear shock from 0 to 2 of 5 ? as I like a firmer ride and a bit more ground clearance and it was fine. Never touched a peg down (though I was liable for the 1st 2 grand if I dinged her so didn’t let loose, well not to much.
    She handles just great!! Turns in early on slow turns/corners and 100% neutral after that, just perfect. Goes where you point even on a lousy surface. I know the 70mile ride well and went over all the bits that really upset the RK and Sporty. No complaints from the Sport Glide. No white lining, no bone jarring thumps or wiggles. 1st rate.
    forgot to mention brakes. Back brake usual, it helps out, front brake superb.. overall very good and up to the job. Abs not too obtrusive. But I haven’t had an ABS system yet that hasn’t come on in situations it’s not needed.

Now bad stuffs.

The bike I had had a lousy gear box. Major tractor. Impossible to fine neutral, major slams changing gears generally very yucky! But it’s a loaner on 600 miles and I’m guessing it’s missed it’s 1st 500 ml service.
    factory exhaust..... all I heard from the engine all ride was the valve train (and there’s a lot of valve train) and primary whine. I honestly couldn’t tell you what I was riding. Triple, twin, four? The power delivery was so smooth I didn’t notice any pulses from the engine. And certainly couldn’t hear them.
    may have been a massive V Twin?
    i would certainly miss that loverly thud thud thud and feel each pot as it turns the back wheel. But maybe a decent stage 1 would give some of it back?
    i found the analogue Speedo hard to read and the small screen for fuel and revs etc grey on black screen equally hard. But a small niggle and perhaps with more use would be fine.

a cracking modern bike practicable and exciting to ride.
    would I miss the SOUL in my 2 other Harley’s ? which is a major part of the ride. Would the better handling and performance make up for it?
    hmmmm would need to check out a stage one 1st.
    Last edited by howo; 11-07-2019 at 08:43 PM.
    OMG it started !!!!!

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why not tidy up this review, add some pix and submit it to the 'Quin as a roadtest..?

Total Downloaded
    1,018.7 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Informative write up and agree with a pic it would make an interesting article in the club mag. Worrying that the gearbox was not slick and neutral difficult to find.

Total Downloaded
    96.58 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You sounded less than impressed tbh,
    so should you swap two great bikes that you know and love for one new one that may (or may not) be okay once you've thrown another grand or two at it ?
    no brainer innit ?

Me ?
    I think I've found my perfect Harley,,,,,,,
    Started with a Heritage in 1989
    swapped for an Electra Glide Sport in '92 (I really should have kept that one) but a dodgy knee meant that sometimes after pushing it out the garage I couldn't ride it,
    so I swapped it for an FXST in 99,
    which morphed into an 03 Anniversary Heritage (a keeper for sure and my last Harley, or so I thought at the time).
    But I got the hankering for another FXST in 2012 and bought an 04 model.

So, after that lot, what's my perfect Harley turned out to be ?
    A 2004 XL1200 Custom

Like you, I tour with guys on lighter, faster bikes and 2 years ago I came back from a trip to Austria / Italy / Switzerland absolutely knackerd from hustling the Softail round those Alpine passes (yeah, maybe I am getting old,,,,,fun though,,,,,,,,).
    So I thought it was time to give a Sporty a try, and it's bloody brilliant. But you know that already
    Mine has QD rack, bags & screen, she transforms from back lane scrathcer to tourer in 5 minutes.
    Took her to Spain last summer, and we've just got back from a 3,000 mile 11 day trip to Czech Republic with those lighter, faster bikes I mentioned earlier, no worries.
    I've added 14,000 miles to the clock in 2 years, which considering she only gets used in the summer months (I have a Transalp for winter) must mean she's fun to ride.

I think I may just have found my "forever" Harley,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but then, I've thought that twice before,,,,,,,,,,,,, so WTF do I know ?
    If speed kills,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, buy a 2CV and live for ever

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well off to sunny Scotland on Saturday on the sporty this time. And I’ll see what’s what on her. Good to hear your opinions on all this thanks.
    Happy trails all...........

Paul.... I’m afraid that’s as tidy as it gets. I have to get her indoors to check over my estimates before I send them out to convert them to English! dyslexic. l don’t so much read words as recognise there patterns. Page layout, punctuation, errrr nope.
    Last edited by howo; 12-07-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    OMG it started !!!!!

Total Downloaded
    1.95 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update.

Yet another member of R19 is buying one(Steve Finney) so I think that probably speaks volumes of what people think of the sport glide.

Should be interesting when they come out of the pub together, now which bikes mine?
    Last edited by andy real ale; 12-07-2019 at 08:43 AM.

1997 FXDL

Assistant Rep & Treasurer
    Region 19 New Forest

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast