Thread: Shovelhead Forks Stuck in Yoke

Total Downloaded
    6.56 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shovelhead Forks Stuck in Yoke

I'm having trouble getting the forks out (Showas) Tried penetrating oil and putting a drift in the where the pinch bolt goes, but it's not having it. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rod.
    Time out of mind

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Shovelhead Forks Stuck in Yoke

Was waiting for someone else to stick their neck out....could this just be one of those times when "the thing" will only co-operate once enough frustration has been spent? It is worrying to encourage someone to be more heavy handed but I do wonder if a tiny bit more BFI (for our yanks = "brute force and ignorance") will work? or some heat? (it will probably turn out to have been held by a finger nail sized patch of corrosion!)

(if it breaks something I will delete this reply!)

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put the fork caps back on and apply plenty of vigorous RUBBER mallet ''tapping''..

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
    Put the fork caps back on and apply plenty of vigorous RUBBER mallet ''tapping''..
    A combination of this (copper headed mallet) and a big flat blade screwdriver in where the pinch bolt goes to open up the clamp worked for me. It took some effort.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Total Downloaded
    6.56 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments lads. Going by the fasteners, they have never been off, or at least very carefully once. The rest of the bike is not corroded, so I suspect Paul is right and it's a small amount that's putting up a big fight. I've tried banging and the screwdriver in the pinch bolt slots. Last night I soaked them and walked away. I'll give it another try later and feedback.
    Time out of mind

Total Downloaded
    263.51 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my 2 cents.
    use a heavy-duty strap-wrench on the tube while you 1. first, wrap a bit of exhaust heat-wrap around the tube above and below the pinch of the clamp, 2. use a heat gun at (all around) the clamp... heat to 300 F. But NO more than that.... when you're satisfied it's hot enough, spray an upsidedown* can of keyboard cleaner inside the tube at the level of the clamp. What you're doing of course, is expanding the clamp while shrinking the tube. You could, of curse, mallet the tube while a volenteer works the strap wrench.
    This trick of heating the outside while freezing the inside has, as they say, saved my bacon, more than twice......

*a can of keyboard spray cleaner held upside down will usually add a layer of ice pretty quickly to just about anything the spray touches. Wear goggles!

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Back when I had Meriden Triumph 750s (T140s and TR7) I'd get a stuck clutch once in a while. When I undid it all it would be stuck by the most absurd little patch of light rust!

Total Downloaded
    6.56 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the buggers off. Needed a 35 mm socket for the fork tops and when I went to the tool shop the bloke (biker) said he had some old imperial sockets in a bucket out the back. I said have you got a 1 x 3/8 socket (stem nut) and would you believe it! Yes, plus a deep 9/16. Got all 3 for a score. Not bad considering what they cost. Anyway, got home and tried the stem nut - no chance. Took ten mins with the impact on 100 psi to get it off. All rusted in there from new. After that I tapped off the top yoke and they slid out. Stanchions are tapered at the top, but no rust. I think the bike was guiding me, because the head races are dry as a bone. So if it had been easy I would have missed them.

I don't think she's 100% pleased with my performance, but she will have to keep quiet and be patient whilst I sort out the mess.

I had the strap wrench and heat on standby, but fortunately didn't need them.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5800.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	32774
    Last edited by El Hombre; 22-07-2019 at 01:43 PM.
    Time out of mind

Total Downloaded
    46.79 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rod, your supposed to be doing all this malarky when its cold wet and orrable, i.e. winter.

Total Downloaded
    6.56 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Boy View Post
    Rod, your supposed to be doing all this malarky when its cold wet and orrable, i.e. winter.
    I know Andy! People are saying - since he got the shovel out of storage, he's become a recluse. I keep thinking this is the last job, but there's always another one. Last night I went out for a beer, got pissed and bored the shit out of everyone talking about shovels. I need help!
    Time out of mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast