Thread: 'Newbie' with some questions about the Fat Bob

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Newbie' with some questions about the Fat Bob

I've not ridden for about 7 years, having previously owned various bikes (Sportsbikes, Naked Bikes, Adventure Bikes etc) but never really an interest in Harleys and so am unfamiliar with the 'back catalogue' of models, however over the past 18 months or so I've been feeling the urge to get back into biking more and more and find myself more and more looking at Harleys.

I really like the look of the Fat Bob and am sorely tempted to take one for a test ride, however before I do I have some questions and if you guys could help I'd really appreciate it.

Firstly, how good are these 2 up? I know they're not the perfect touring bike, but are they OK for the odd day trip 2 up and are there another options for pillion back rests other than the cissy bar with pad on? Can you get top boxes for them, and can you get top boxes with a backrest?

Secondly, 'that' Harley sound. Now as stock the fat bob doesn't have that 'classic' Harley burble and rumble and appreciate that you need new pipes to get that, but is it as simple as that or do you need to start re-mapping, new filters etc etc? I know this is a difficult question to answer, but any idea what sort of ballpark figure we're talking? (it doesn't have to be crazy loud, in fact I wouldn't want it crazy loud but would want the classic 'burble'. Any idea how much such mods would affect insurance?

Lastly, how much adjustments are there in the rear brake and gear shifter pedals? Last year when I first starting with the idea of getting back into biking I did actually sit on the road king and the pedal positions felt alien to me. Not only am I not used to riding feet first I'm not used to having to literally lift my leg to brake or shift gear. I'm quite tall (6'4") and with the flat boards my feet were completely flat and I could not bend them to reach the pedals and literally had to lift my entire leg and it felt weird trying to get control on the brake pedal with my leg 'dangling in mid air', rather than having my foot rested. I know that the Fat Bob is a different configuration but the levers still seem to be set quite high. Ideally I'd like to be able to use the levers whilst still resting my foot. Is this possible or do you just get used to lifting your leg?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Toby

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 'Newbie' with some questions about the Fat Bob

Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    I've not ridden for about 7 years, having previously owned various bikes (Sportsbikes, Naked Bikes, Adventure Bikes etc) but never really an interest in Harleys and so am unfamiliar with the 'back catalogue' of models, however over the past 18 months or so I've been feeling the urge to get back into biking more and more and find myself more and more looking at Harleys.

I really like the look of the Fat Bob and am sorely tempted to take one for a test ride, however before I do I have some questions and if you guys could help I'd really appreciate it.

Firstly, how good are these 2 up? I know they're not the perfect touring bike, but are they OK for the odd day trip 2 up and are there another options for pillion back rests other than the cissy bar with pad on? Can you get top boxes for them, and can you get top boxes with a backrest?

Secondly, 'that' Harley sound. Now as stock the fat bob doesn't have that 'classic' Harley burble and rumble and appreciate that you need new pipes to get that, but is it as simple as that or do you need to start re-mapping, new filters etc etc? I know this is a difficult question to answer, but any idea what sort of ballpark figure we're talking? (it doesn't have to be crazy loud, in fact I wouldn't want it crazy loud but would want the classic 'burble'. Any idea how much such mods would affect insurance?

Lastly, how much adjustments are there in the rear brake and gear shifter pedals? Last year when I first starting with the idea of getting back into biking I did actually sit on the road king and the pedal positions felt alien to me. Not only am I not used to riding feet first I'm not used to having to literally lift my leg to brake or shift gear. I'm quite tall (6'4") and with the flat boards my feet were completely flat and I could not bend them to reach the pedals and literally had to lift my entire leg and it felt weird trying to get control on the brake pedal with my leg 'dangling in mid air', rather than having my foot rested. I know that the Fat Bob is a different configuration but the levers still seem to be set quite high. Ideally I'd like to be able to use the levers whilst still resting my foot. Is this possible or do you just get used to lifting your leg?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Toby
    OK, so I managed to pop down to the Harley Dealer today and answered a lot of the questions above so you can ignore these now thanks. The pedal position wasn't too bad at all actually, I'd just have to lower the get shifter a touch.

New question though, I did find that it felt a little cramped as stock. I've looked into it and there seems to be a variety of seat options but what would folk recommend to get a bit more room? Ideally I'd like to be a bit higher and/or further back.

Also, I have seen that you can get a HD forward control extender kit, but it's a whopping £588 Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain