Thread: Shovelhead Lower Yoke Pinch Bolts

Total Downloaded
    7.43 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shovelhead Lower Yoke Pinch Bolts

One of mine was a bit shagged and I had to use a shorter bolt to tide me over. Found these in high tensile - handy for spares.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNF-BOLTS...NxB1zJerEjKqrQ
    Time out of mind

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    263.51 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Shovelhead Lower Yoke Pinch Bolts

I take it as a matter of course (horses for courses of courses of courses!) that all these interior and exterior threads you're involved with are to be re-assembled only after a proper scouring.
    So I figgered this as gooda place as any to post these two links about anti-seize types and, most particularly, the effect upon torque.

https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/torqu...ifications.pdf

https://www.manufacturing.net/articl...lue-anti-seize

Cheers.

When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout!

A common mistake made when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Total Downloaded
    7.43 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Shovelhead Lower Yoke Pinch Bolts

Two very good and simple articles that confirm my basic approach. I tend to go for the lower torques and use anti seize or Loctite variants. Although, torque figures can vary depending on the manual. Most common I've found on the shovel is about 20 - 30 foot pounds. Some I avoid, for example 18 - 22 for the primary cover 1/4 inch bolts. I can't work that one out and never go that far. It just feels like too much and yes, mine leaks a bit. Even with Gasgasinch.

I like to think I learn from my shovelhead and careful use of fasteners is something I have progressed with. When I was young and new to bikes I used to horse nuts and bolts all over the place. Gradually, I learned to take it easy and develop some mechanical sympathy.

Another thing is tightening sequence. When I tighten fasteners I try to do it evenly. This balances out the machinery and in my mind makes it all run smoother and happier.

It's surprising how much there is to learn and when people ask me to do things for them, I tell them it will take me a lot longer than a "good" professional, because they don't have to stop every five minutes to check the manual or, whatever. You don't pay good mechanics for nothing. They have built their skills over a long time.

Tools also make a heck of a lot of difference.
    Time out of mind