Thread: 1950 Hydra Glide EL61 Restoration

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 1950 Hydra Glide EL61 Restoration

A little more progress this weekend....

Headlamp is mounted, fork is nearly complete. The wiring should be ok, I just need to find a better ground for the headlamp.

I also did some glassball blasting on the de-chromed parts like tappet guides and transmission top cover. After the chrome was gone, the surface of the parts was far too smooth. Everything is just assembled temporarily, since all will be completly done by the engine builder.

Engine is wating on the workbench, next week I will take to the engine guy.

Jens

PS: today is the second last day of the Mecum Auction in Las Vegas, where they sell also some Harleys. Here are some hi-lights of the auctions:

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/las-v...lots/featured/

Here is a link for the live view, start time today is 10am (should be 6pm UK time) Las Vegas time (works only with Google Chrome on my Mac). American auctions are best viewed with the sound turned down, at least I cannot stand it for more than 10 minutes.

https://www.mecum.com/auctions/las-v...u9d5y6gY4_bBEo

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMW Hybrid Version....

Engine should be ready by the end of this month!

Jens

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I spoke to the engine builder yesterday, I've asked him, if I could use Jim's Powerglide Tappets for the engine (I still have a complete set). He said, that he can drill the required oilchannel, but I would need to use tappet blocks 53 and up.... clearly no option. I will stick with the original blocks and solid lifters. He is will rebuild the original oil pump, when my buddy bought the bike, a S&S was installed, also not what I want to see. All the parts of the OEM Pump are there, so with a little magic everything will be fine. What will be changed is the ignition system. I will install a electronic version, but keep the manual adjustment. I do this for a very simple reason, all new points are junk.

Color is also decided, I'll go for "Riviera Blue". I stopped thinking about black, simply because it's so booring. I'm currently trying to find the correct color formula, but haven't had success so far. Now I'm believing RAL 5001 (green-blue) would be a good choice. which should be very close. What do you guys think? (picture taken from Facebook)

I think the color is awesome!!!

Btw, engine is done here:

https://www.kramermis.de/

Bernd is one of max.3 harley engine guys in Germany, who have the right level of experience. He did Drag Racing before, sound like he knows engines by heart. Now I'm wondering about the best quartermile time for a 1950 EL, I need to check that out.

Jens

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You get my vote for the colour Jens, it indeed looks awesome!
    Born free
    Bound to live
    Dead happy

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tanks are back from coating. The inner side of both halfs are just great, no corrosion! Now everything is ready for the paint. Like I said color will be Blue-Green (RAL 5001), I tried everything, but original Riviera Blue is impossible to find.

It's amazing how different colors look on pictures.
    This picture shows a Riviera Blue Pan from the HD Museum. Second picture shows my tank with a real color card (RAL 5001).

This is the very same color card under different light conditions.

If you look at outside with lots of sunlight, it appears more greenish, like the on the bike on the picture in my last post.

I'm really curious to see the painted parts!

Jens
    Last edited by hd474; 09-02-2020 at 09:08 AM.

Total Downloaded
    9.53 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jens, this is an effect called metamerism. It's the bane of my life! I make ceramic dental restorations and despite ultimate care we sometimes get complaints that the colour is wrong. When the patient comes to the lab and we review, the colour looks correct but the patient remains adamant that it is wrong in their bathroom even though they agree it's correct under our colour corrected lighting.
    There seems to be no way around metamerism; I once bought a device (£3k!!) that was a spin-off from the automotive paint industry. It was a colour analyser that was supposedly capable of mapping the different colours within a tooth. If you've ever had a crown made you will know that a shade guide is used? There are 16 standard shades that have been in use for decades, the analyser could not correctly identify the shade of ANY of the shade guide tabs!! What a waste of money that was.
    I was taught that colour is best appreciated against a red brick wall at midday facing north. Incantations made no difference...
    Born free
    Bound to live
    Dead happy

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many thanks for the explanation Hector! I was aware of this effect, but I never had a name for this. Everyday you can learn something new and that's what I really like! I now know a new english word, I just just have to learn how to pronounce it correctly.... :-)

Preparation for paint is ongoing. There were many additional holes (for fender lights and mud guards for example) in the fenders and all non standard holes have to go. Some were pretty obvious, since they were poorly drilled with many burrs, but some gave me some headache. Now I hope, I identified all wrong holes and we can close them.

Here are some pictures, I cannot wait to see everything in the final condition. My painter became nervous, when I told him, that I do not expect 100%, but 120%... He will do a great job, he is the son in law of one of my best friends.... but a little pressure will help! :-) All parts are in a great condition considering their age. I also told him, that the rear fender needs to be painted in closed position, with the locking bolts in position, that's how they did it in the factory. He said, that then the paint would break, if the rear part of the fender is raised, and I answered, that's how they did it in the factory...

Jens

Total Downloaded
    10.24 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when you lift the rear fender the hinges always flake so now i dont doit that way ,,

plus that rear mudgard is very hard to find with the three stripes on the chain gard

a little pot of colour helps ,

nice to see it coming together

john
    Last edited by devon.john; 16-02-2020 at 03:13 PM.
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still waiting for the engine, my engine builde broke his foot, so it might take a while....

Some progress is there. The Dash Cover is already painted. Color looks so cool!

Fenders are nearly ready for the final paint.

And all the parts for parkerizing are prepared. Will be done next week.

Jens

Total Downloaded
    7.43 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That speedo is outta sight man!
    Time out of mind