Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road King seat and screen query following a test ride.

Total Downloaded

Re: Road King seat and screen query following a test ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Lane View Post
    There's the problem. Through no fault of your own you've only been exposed to HD products. Which of course is exactly what the dealer wants. You spend a ton of money on a new bike and then the next step is for them to hand you the big thick book of HD/SE accessories. You then spend another couple of grand replacing the stock seat/bars/screen etc to something that fits you better. The plan usually works - unless you have access to information gained from experienced riders as shown in the previous replies. HD accesories are not the best option out there. There are many seat manufacturers such as Le Pera, Corbin, Mustang - all top quality. Same with bars - Wild 1 Chubby, Fehling and many more. I'd suggest you check out the many aftermarket suppliers such as Zodiac, Motorcycle Storehouse and Custom Chrome. Their dealers are everywhere and they have much better choice, quality and prices than you'll find in any HD catalogue ...
    Thanks, I've looked at most of those and whilst the daddy long legs/tallboy seats move you back they appear to lower you as well which is exactly what I don't want. I'll take a look at a couple of others that you have mentioned though that I've not heard of

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Boy View Post
    Toby.

If you cannot find a seat that suits your specific requirements, either OEM or aftermarket why not have the original seat re-foamed and re-covered by a custom seat maker. The end result will be exactly what you want and need in both shape and finish.
    Strangely enough I've just been saying the same thing to my wife this morning, I can just have my seat made higher or even as a temporary fix bet something like an airhawk pad that raises you up an inch or so

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    21.02 MB

If you want a temporary fix, sit on a cushion ;-) My ex had four on her seat before she was happy. Talk about the princess & the pea........

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by mr. pitts View Post
    If you want a temporary fix, sit on a cushion ;-) My ex had four on her seat before she was happy. Talk about the princess & the pea........
    ;)

Total Downloaded

saddle is an easy fix. there are various options. Get the standard seat re upholstered. Or buy a new saddle or second hand which is nearer ur mark and if necessary re upholster that. If ur a club member someone my offer one.
    There are even ride in and wait upholsterers (booked in 1st) who will do a ride in service and make any changes you need after a test ride. Some even cut in memory foam where u and the mrs sit.
    Then get the screen sorted. HD and others do taller or short screen heights. My RK 2010 has a standard King screen with mid front fork air deflectors. i'm 5'10". There's also an option of of an air deflector under the head stock that pushes air downwards from under the screen for my model. My "Fangs"and screen allow 75 mph cruising with my visor up and a still air calm environment. It gets a bit messy over that but ofc it's not a race fairing it's a wall lol.
    Screen should be at nose height with ur eyes easily seeing over the top 1st befor u buy any accessories.
    Dont lower the foot boards/pegs ur gonna need your ground clearance.

i would buy the bike and ride it for a while to get the best impression of what u need and time to find ur best way to achieving it.
    have fun
    Last edited by howo; 08-08-2019 at 01:35 PM.
    OMG it started !!!!!

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by howo View Post
    saddle is an easy fix. there are various options. Get the standard seat re upholstered. Or buy a new saddle or second hand which is nearer ur mark and if necessary re upholster that.
    There are even ride in and wait upholsterers (booked in 1st) who will do a ride in service and make any changes you need after a test ride. Some even cut in memory foam where u and the mrs sit.
    Then get the screen sorted. HD and others do taller or short screen heights. My RK has a standard King screen with mid front fork air deflectors. i'm 5'10". There's also an option of of an air deflector under the head stock that pushes air downwards from under the screen. My "Fangs"and screen allow 75 mph cruising with my visor up and a still air calm environment. It gets a bit messy over that but ofc it's not a race fairing it's a wall lol.
    Screen should be at nose height with ur eyes easily seeing over the top 1st befor u buy any accessories.
    Dont lower the foot boards/pegs ur gonna need your ground clearance.

have fun
    Thanks very much. I'm just waiting on a loan application, and if that goes through I'll definitely be buying a Road King. I'll start off with a Tallboy seat and see how I get on, I'll then decide what other adjustments I need to make once I've ridden it for a while. I've done a bit of experimenting sat on chairs and altering the height and it's amazing how much difference 2" can make on hip comfort. My feeling is that I'll be adding more cushioning to the seat to give more hip room. I know what you mean about the board lowering and scraping, although talking to some folk on the American site who have the tallboy board kit fitted (lowers 2" and forward 2") say that it's not an issue. I'm not someone that pushes it in the corners, but obviously I would have to consider the lack of ground clearance.

As I said, I'm not going to buy anything else other than the seat (if the loan goes through) and then take it from there. I might come back on here for recommendations for seat upholsters as I'm not familiar with any in my area (Chesterfield, Derbyshire).

Total Downloaded
    874.62 MB

Hi Toby.

Just a thought from left of field.

Do any dealerships near you hire bikes out under the HD Rental scheme ?
    If so why not hire a Road King for a few days.

This way you can try it solo and with your wife, so you get the idea of what it feels like,
    before actually buying one.

I know it may cost a few hundred quid, but at least you will get to feel what the bike is
    like on a variety of roads, weather conditions, solo and with a pillion.
    Last edited by FXSTC Dave; 08-08-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    FXSTC Dave.

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by FXSTC Dave View Post
    Hi Toby.

Just a thought from left of field.

Do any dealerships near you hire bikes out under the HD Rental scheme ?
    If so why not hire a Road King for a few days.

This way you can try it solo and with your wife, so you get the idea of what it feels like,
    before actually buying one.

I know it may cost a few hundred quid, but at least you will get to feel what the bike is
    like on a variety of roads, weather conditions, solo and with a pillion.
    I thought about it but I got a pretty good idea during the test ride tbh, I’m not sure what else I’d gain from hiring one other than seeing what it’s like with a pillion on, but that’s always going to be new territory anyway as I’ve never taken a pillion before. I’d rather get used to riding again as well as get used to the bike before attempting to have my wife on the back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12