Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Road King, have a couple of questions.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just ordered a Road King, have a couple of questions.

Very excited, first foray into the Harley World and am looking forward to it. Managed to get a great deal (I believe) on a brand new 2019 Road King Standard in Black. Have also ordered a Tallboy Seat, as well as detachable passenger backrest.

According to the Harley site the Tallboy seat is not compatible with the adjustable rider backrests but I can't see any on the site that aren't adjustable, does this mean that you can't use any rider backrest with the Tallboy seat?

Now I don't plan on using the bike in bad weather, but I would like to use it on nice autumn and winter days and of course there's still the risk of salt being on the road even if the roads have not been gritted that day/week so what do people use? I used to use Scottoiler FS 365 on previous bikes as I liked how easy it was to apply, and how easy it is to get off. Is this safe to use on Harley Chrome? I don't like ACF-50 as it's such a pain to get off.

One of the first things I'll be saving for is some Slip Ons. I'd like to get that 'authentic' Harley sound but without being obnoxiously loud. On one of the test rides I did the bike had some Jeckyll and Hydes on that were electronically adjustable with the press of a button. With the valves open it was crazy loud and I thought my head was going to implode There's no way I could spend more than 5 minutes riding around with exhaust like that. I've watched god knows how many videos on youtube trying to get a rounded opinion of sounds, but of course it's not ideal doing this. Two that are at the top of the list are the Vance and Hines Twin Slash Rounds, and the Vance and Hines Hi Output. I do like the cobra neighbour haters too, but I think they are going to be too loud, I watch a video on youtube where they set cat alarms off From the videos I've seen the twin slash seem to give that more 'traditional' sound, does anyone have these and can confirm? Do they make much difference in volume from stock?

Lastly, I'm likely want my seat raising, does anyone know of any custom seat people that could add 2-3 inches of extra foam/padding to my tallboy seat? Ideally I'd like to drop it off rather than post it, so somewhere close-ish to Chesterfield, Derbyshire would be ideal.

Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by snerkler; 14-08-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    20.59 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Just ordered a Road King, have a couple of questions.

Can't really help you with the rest of it but if you don't mind travelling that bit further theres a top seat man in Huddersfield.

https://tonyarcher.co.uk/services/bike-seats/
    Time is precious, waste it wisely.

Total Downloaded
    582.42 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on your purchase, they are nice looking bikes.

The Tallboy isn't compatable as stated in the accessories book and wonder if this is because the seat moves you back 1.5", so perhaps the mounts for the rider backrest will no longer align.

May be worth discussing with one of these guys who can possibly offer a solution;

https://www.mustangseats.com/

http://www.lepera.com/

As for ptotection, ACF50 is hard to beat, but if cleaning is an issue I use Pro-Tection from http://www.pro-clean-uk.com/bike.jsp. It's worked well so far.

For exhausts you can go on Vance & Hines web site and run through their video's of the bikes running with their various products and make a choice, although HD Screaming Eagle slip on's offer a nice note without being offensive, or join the club, attend a Rally and see and hear all the differnt exhausts and make an informed decision.

Can't help you wish a local seat/upholsterer in Derbyshire so hopefully someone on here can
    Darren Thomas
    Member No:010141

Total Downloaded
    334.6 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on the new acquisition - I hope it gives you lots of pleasure and many safe miles! On the exhaust front, I don't see any hurry to change what you've got. You're bound to meet a lot of other riders, especially if you stick around with us, and the chances are you'll make a much more informed decision once you talked to others and heard their bikes.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M&M View Post
    Can't really help you with the rest of it but if you don't mind travelling that bit further theres a top seat man in Huddersfield.

https://tonyarcher.co.uk/services/bike-seats/
    Thanks, not a million miles away of I can't find anywhere closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzlin View Post
    Congrats on your purchase, they are nice looking bikes.

The Tallboy isn't compatable as stated in the accessories book and wonder if this is because the seat moves you back 1.5", so perhaps the mounts for the rider backrest will no longer align.

May be worth discussing with one of these guys who can possibly offer a solution;

https://www.mustangseats.com/

http://www.lepera.com/

As for ptotection, ACF50 is hard to beat, but if cleaning is an issue I use Pro-Tection from http://www.pro-clean-uk.com/bike.jsp. It's worked well so far.

For exhausts you can go on Vance & Hines web site and run through their video's of the bikes running with their various products and make a choice, although HD Screaming Eagle slip on's offer a nice note without being offensive, or join the club, attend a Rally and see and hear all the differnt exhausts and make an informed decision.

Can't help you wish a local seat/upholsterer in Derbyshire so hopefully someone on here can
    Thanks. With regards to the seats it just confused me saying they're not compatible with the adjustable backrest, making think there was a non adjustable one ;)

I won't be getting an exhaust straight away, but I'm not sure how many events or meets I'll get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless View Post
    Congrats on the new acquisition - I hope it gives you lots of pleasure and many safe miles! On the exhaust front, I don't see any hurry to change what you've got. You're bound to meet a lot of other riders, especially if you stick around with us, and the chances are you'll make a much more informed decision once you talked to others and heard their bikes.
    Thanks. Most I've seen have had full systems done, but I'll pay more attention now I've actually made the purchase.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, IMO, I wouldn't bother with a replacement HD seat, they use the same bendy plastic base and crap foam as the stock item that holds water for weeks after a decent downpour. For less than the cost of the modified Tallboy offerings from either Le Pera or Mustang are a better bet c/w gel pad options for the long haul. On exhausts: S&S seem to have lost the plot on build quality in recent years so if I was buying now it would be Reinhart.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dynalow View Post
    For what it's worth, IMO, I wouldn't bother with a replacement HD seat, they use the same bendy plastic base and crap foam as the stock item that holds water for weeks after a decent downpour. For less than the cost of the modified Tallboy offerings from either Le Pera or Mustang are a better bet c/w gel pad options for the long haul. On exhausts: S&S seem to have lost the plot on build quality in recent years so if I was buying now it would be Reinhart.
    I got the tallboy as part of the deal tbh, essentially free so am happy to try that first. I'm yet to find a 'tallboy' seat that offer both sitting you further back and also further up, however I contacted LePera and Mustang earlier this week to see if they have any offerings, which they don't at present. However, LePera did say that they are releasing one later this year, maybe around October so if I can't get on with the HD Tallboy I'll take a look at those.

With regards to Reinhart they sound very nice, but don't quite sound like what I'm after. To my ears (having only listened on youtube) they don't have that 'classic' Harley sound I"m after.

Total Downloaded
    49.01 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    a brand new 2019 Road King
    Make sure it's had the primary vent kit fitted ...

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Lane View Post
    Make sure it's had the primary vent kit fitted ...
    What's that?

Total Downloaded
    122.42 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    What's that?
    It stops your primary filling up with gearbox oil.
    Google M8 oil migration fault.
    Know fault that dealer wont tell you about.
    Plus all the other faults the m8 has.
    Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast