Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Road King, have a couple of questions.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Just ordered a Road King, have a couple of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Halal Tim View Post
    It stops your primary filling up with gearbox oil.
    Google M8 oil migration fault.
    Know fault that dealer wont tell you about.
    Plus all the other faults the m8 has.
    Good luck.
    Yeah just had a quick google. I'm not overly mechanically minded, how would I know if the gearbox oil is migrating into the primary, and what are the consequences? Would it lead to a major engine failure?

I've not read about other m8 faults. I'm not wondering if it's worth taking out the extended warranty over the free 2 year warranty? Is it cheaper to do it from the outset, or is it just the same if I extend it at the start of the third year?

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    581.79 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toby welcome to the H-DRCGB we are independent from the MoCo and have been around 70 years this year. You will automatically be a member of HOG and if you pay extra you can join your local run HD chapter.
    Here for just £26 a year you can be a member of our great club with this knowledgeable website and bi monthly club magazine, tool hire, local regional meets and country wide rallies.
    I can't answer your seat questions but I'm 6'2" in my boots and I have a air sprung USA police seat. As far as ACF50 if it's put on with a microfiber cloth and a brush where you can't reach with a cloth it's easy to remove with hot soapy water.
    I've been using it for 16 years on my 2003 Road King from October to March.
    I've done over 100k and it still looks like this. Photo taken this summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190330_151101499_HDR.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	32924
    Last edited by BaZa; 14-08-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    wine [there is the] truth"

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaZa View Post
    Toby welcome to the H-DRCGB we are independent from the MoCo and have been around 70 years this year. You will automatically be a member of HOG and if you pay extra you can join your local run HD run chapter.
    Here for just £26 a year you can be a member of our great club with this knowledgeable website and bi monthly club magazine, tool hire, local regional meets and country wide rallies.
    I can't answer your seat questions but I'm 6'2" in my boots and I have a air sprung USA police seat. As far as ACF50 if it's put on with a microfiber cloth and a brush where you can't reach with a cloth it's easy to remove with hot soapy water.
    I've been using it for 16 years on my 2003 Road King from October to March.
    I've done over 100k and it still looks like this. Photo taken this summer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190330_151101499_HDR.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	32924
    Thanks for the info. I’m not familiar with all the acronyms so not sure what MoCo is, but 70 years is impressive. I’ve no idea what the other memberships are so will look into them.

I might give the ACF 50 another go if I can’t find out whether the Scottoiler FS 365 is suitable for chrome.

Total Downloaded
    581.79 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    Thanks for the info. I’m not familiar with all the acronyms so not sure what MoCo is, but 70 years is impressive. I’ve no idea what the other memberships are so will look into them.

I might give the ACF 50 another go if I can’t find out whether the Scottoiler FS 365 is suitable for chrome.
    When you buy a new Harley Davidson you automatically become a MoCo aka motor company HOG Harley Owners Group member, you then pay to become a local chapter member all run buy Harley the motor company. All corporate we are independent from the MoCo.
    ACF 50 works well on all chrome, paint in fact everywhere.
    wine [there is the] truth"

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
    One of the first things I'll be saving for is some Slip Ons. I'd like to get that 'authentic' Harley sound but without being obnoxiously loud.
    Congrats on the bike!

I'm with you on the slip-ons. ''Neighbour Haters'' indeed, what a load of wank. Neighbours are the people who alert cops to the bike thieves at your house when you are at work, so do not piss them off by using shitty-sounding brain-damage pipes. A moronic name for high-revving morons.

I'm running these S&S Grand National slip-ons on my 2019 Road Glide.

Now, I also have Vance and Hines de-catted ''true dual'' header pipes to add to the sweet music (and to run cooler in the Aussie heat) ... but the Grand Nationals are sublime. My set-up delivers a really nice burble at idle, nothing offensive, and the proper H-D sound during higher speeds/acceleration. They are not among the ''5 most referred to'' on the internet, but they are USA-made by the best aftermarket name in the business. 60 years in the Harley business, in fact.

Videos all over YouTube, but yeah, it's kinda hard to tell despite the many helpful comparison shootouts. My bike sounds way better to my ears than any of the same mufflers in those videos.

Weblink:

https://www.sscycle.com/products/gra...models-chrome/

They come with black or chrome end caps and removable decibel-killing discs. Choose your preferred sound level. I've left them in, and the slip-ons sound even better after a couple of thousand miles on them. My bike now burbles at idle like my 1968 430 cu in big-block Buick Wildcat coupe. I could listen to them both all day

At the other extreme to the Cobra N******** H*****, many M8 riders report seriously disliking the 'way too quiet' Screaming Eagle Street Cannon slip-ons the dealer installed for them. Just a note. Your dealer, like mine, may well happily order the S&S (or other aftermarket choice) for you.

There are many good choices out there. Just my personal experience. I will never change them out.

PS: Primary vent. If your bike is en route from the US, no worries, it has one. If it is in stock in the shop already, ask a mechanic (NOT sales person!) to show you the primary vent. It's hard to spot, but fitted to all new bikes with hydraulic clutch from May 2019. If your bike was built before then, **demand** that the primary vent kit is fitted. It is a warranty fit, no charge. Don't over-think it, it's a fix for a problem you will never experience when you ride out the shop with the vent fitted. Read the ''migration'' thread on this forum if you must.
    Last edited by kiwidave; 15-08-2019 at 07:24 AM.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaZa View Post
    When you buy a new Harley Davidson you automatically become a MoCo aka motor company HOG Harley Owners Group member, you then pay to become a local chapter member all run buy Harley the motor company. All corporate we are independent from the MoCo.
    ACF 50 works well on all chrome, paint in fact everywhere.
    Thanks for the info. I shall take another look at ACF 50. I'll have a look around the forum to see if there's a maintenance/cleaning section to see how best to look after the bike

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
    Congrats on the bike!

I'm with you on the slip-ons. ''Neighbour Haters'' indeed, what a load of wank. Neighbours are the people who alert cops to the bike thieves at your house when you are at work, so do not piss them off by using shitty-sounding brain-damage pipes. A moronic name for high-revving morons.

I'm running these S&S Grand National slip-ons on my 2019 Road Glide.

Now, I also have Vance and Hines de-catted ''true dual'' header pipes to add to the sweet music (and to run cooler in the Aussie heat) ... but the Grand Nationals are sublime. My set-up delivers a really nice burble at idle, nothing offensive, and the proper H-D sound during higher speeds/acceleration. They are not among the ''5 most referred to'' on the internet, but they are USA-made by the best aftermarket name in the business. 60 years in the Harley business, in fact.

Videos all over YouTube, but yeah, it's kinda hard to tell despite the many helpful comparison shootouts. My bike sounds way better to my ears than any of the same mufflers in those videos.

Weblink:

https://www.sscycle.com/products/gra...models-chrome/

They come with black or chrome end caps and removable decibel-killing discs. Choose your preferred sound level. I've left them in, and the slip-ons sound even better after a couple of thousand miles on them. My bike now burbles at idle like my 1968 430 cu in big-block Buick Wildcat coupe. I could listen to them both all day

At the other extreme to the Cobra N******** H*****, many M8 riders report seriously disliking the 'way too quiet' Screaming Eagle Street Cannon slip-ons the dealer installed for them. Just a note. Your dealer, like mine, may well happily order the S&S (or other aftermarket choice) for you.

There are many good choices out there. Just my personal experience. I will never change them out.

PS: Primary vent. If your bike is en route from the US, no worries, it has one. If it is in stock in the shop already, ask a mechanic (NOT sales person!) to show you the primary vent. It's hard to spot, but fitted to all new bikes with hydraulic clutch from May 2019. If your bike was built before then, **demand** that the primary vent kit is fitted. It is a warranty fit, no charge. Don't over-think it, it's a fix for a problem you will never experience when you ride out the shop with the vent fitted. Read the ''migration'' thread on this forum if you must.
    Thanks for the info, the S&S do sound nice, on youtube at least.

With regards to the bike it's coming straight from Harley, but their depot in Belgium I believe. How long it's been at the depot in Belgium I don't know but I'll find out when it was manufactured

Total Downloaded
    210.2 KB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 'sound' is obviously a personal thing. YouTube can guide you but will be different from the actual sound once bought and fitted (after you've spent at least £450).
    I had V&H twin slash rounds on my 07 RK custom. To me they sounded great on tick over but thought they sounded too raspy at speed - even with ear plugs. The sound is different dependent on whether you are riding the bike, or hearing another bike been ridden.
    I was only ever impressed by the tone of my V&H's as the guy who bought the bike rode off into the sunset - Mmmmm, that sound nice.
    As stated, get to some events and have a 'real time' listen. See what appeals and talk to the owner before lashing out more money.
    As for ACF 50, its job is to protect in harsh conditions. I understand it was developed to protect aircraft components from corrosion so is highly trusted. The issue about removing it in spring illustrates its integrity and resistance to washing away.
    Protect your investment. I expect you worked hard to get it so a little hard work in spring is worthwhile.
    Enjoy the bike mate, brand new eh.
    Hodgie.

Total Downloaded
    12.62 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re. Exhaust: loud pipes may save lives, but they're truly fatiguing on a long ride...
    1989 FXST Softail Standard

1988 FLHS Electra Glide Sport

Living well is the best Revenge...

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding Warranty: Six hundred quid is not a lot of money for 5yrs peace of mind if you are the nervous type and *IF* the dealer stands behind it properly. But as years pass and miles roll up, things fail far less due to ''defective component'' and more through ''actual riding use''.

I have not bothered with any form of extended warranty and will lose no sleep about that if shit happens. I'm going to be doing 20,000-plus miles every calendar year on my 2019.

I'm not nervous. I never buy extended warranty stuff from high street electronic/appliance stores either. It's just cream on their profit margin. You should have HEARD the extended warranty hard sell I got last month from a shop that sold me a costly Apple Mac laptop for my university-bound son. It was unbelievable, a full 9-10min of fear propaganda.

I still have a 15-yr-old Mac Powerbook that works. And a 1980 Harley-Davidson that starts first kick ;-)

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    The 'sound' is obviously a personal thing. YouTube can guide you but will be different from the actual sound once bought and fitted (after you've spent at least £450).
    I had V&H twin slash rounds on my 07 RK custom. To me they sounded great on tick over but thought they sounded too raspy at speed - even with ear plugs. The sound is different dependent on whether you are riding the bike, or hearing another bike been ridden.
    I was only ever impressed by the tone of my V&H's as the guy who bought the bike rode off into the sunset - Mmmmm, that sound nice.
    As stated, get to some events and have a 'real time' listen. See what appeals and talk to the owner before lashing out more money.
    As for ACF 50, its job is to protect in harsh conditions. I understand it was developed to protect aircraft components from corrosion so is highly trusted. The issue about removing it in spring illustrates its integrity and resistance to washing away.
    Protect your investment. I expect you worked hard to get it so a little hard work in spring is worthwhile.
    Enjoy the bike mate, brand new eh.
    Hodgie.
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to use the ACF-50. I mentioned this in another thread so rather than keep duplicating here's said thread

http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...6#post11771266

I assume ACF is to be applied to the exhausts too?

I wasn't panning on buying new, but I was made an offer I couldn't refuse ;) I wanted one with the M8 engine, and the price of a 2017 bike isn't that much cheaper than I got the new for so I thought it was a new brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nimrod View Post
    Re. Exhaust: loud pipes may save lives, but they're truly fatiguing on a long ride...
    I've read a lot of conflicting info as to whether this is true or not tbh, I'm still on the fence ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
    Regarding Warranty: Six hundred quid is not a lot of money for 5yrs peace of mind if you are the nervous type and *IF* the dealer stands behind it properly. But as years pass and miles roll up, things fail far less due to ''defective component'' and more through ''actual riding use''.

I have not bothered with any form of extended warranty and will lose no sleep about that if shit happens. I'm going to be doing 20,000-plus miles every calendar year on my 2019.

I'm not nervous. I never buy extended warranty stuff from high street electronic/appliance stores either. It's just cream on their profit margin. You should have HEARD the extended warranty hard sell I got last month from a shop that sold me a costly Apple Mac laptop for my university-bound son. It was unbelievable, a full 9-10min of fear propaganda.

I still have a 15-yr-old Mac Powerbook that works. And a 1980 Harley-Davidson that starts first kick ;-)
    £600 is not a lot in the grand scheme of things but when you've just forked out for a new bike and clothing etc then finding another £600 isn't that easy ;) I'm not nervous tbh, it's just that if it saved you a fortune in the long run then it might be worth it, but if it's not going to save you much over renewing on a yearly basis then I'd rather do the latter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast