Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Primary oil in engine

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyloner View Post
    Thought you meant inside the case like. HD always advise the use of new stator screws which come coated with a thick loctite type substance.
    I used new stator screws which as you say, are pre coated with thick red loctite.
    The clamp is inside the case just before where the cable exits to the front of the engine.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I fitted the new pressure plate today, put everything back together and put new engine oil and primary oil in. I’ve done a few miles today and it seems to be OK but hopefully I’ll put a few more miles on it tomorrow and I’ll put on here if the oil’s still in the primary case.I guess if it does end up with the primary oil in the engine again, that will mean that it’s the crankshaft oil seal that needs replacing.

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve been away in Devon for the past week so I’ve only managed to put about 75 miles on the bike since putting the primary back together. All seems well in as much as I’ve checked the level of oil in the tank 4 times and each time the level has been the same. So it seems that the 2 screws holding the cable clamp on were the problem. I purposely didn’t renew the crankshaft seal as I would never had known if it was the seal or the screws that were the problem. I will update this post again in a couple of weeks time just to let you all know if everything is still as it should be.

Total Downloaded
    9.69 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just as an update, I’ve put a couple of hundred miles on the bike now and there is no loss of oil from the primary. It seems that the problem was the screw holes not being sealed. Oh well, you live and learn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12