Thread: In need of a wheel

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In need of a wheel

I really need to help here.

I have a custom low rider that has a 230/60 B15 tyre on it but, the wheel is 230 wide (too big for this tyre). Avon are the only ones that make this tyre and it's now a belted tyre which it didn't used to be, Nobody can get this tyre to bead on the rim, I have tried gas, bead blaster etc, nothing works. The old tyre was not belted (which they don't make anymore) so the sidewall was more flexible. I either need to tube this tubeless tyre onto a rim that is is too wide (not a good idea), find a new wheel 15x7 or possible fit a 16" wheel and tyre but not sure the bike will take it.

Any ideas are welcome, I am really stuck. I have been to 3 shops including a truck tyre shop, HD and my local garage, nobody can get this tyre on.

I have photos of the bike and wheel but not sure I am allowed to attach them.

Thanks,
    Ken

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    46.79 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: In need of a wheel

Hi Ken.

Fit a tube in the tyre with the tyre off the wheel and inflate it so that the beads are pushed apart. Leave it 24hrs and the beads will be temporally set apart. Whip the tube out and get the tyre on the rim quick. The extra gap between the beads will allow the tyre to seal better and the the compressor will be able to get on top of it and pop it into position. I did this with a tyre that had been stored on its side and the beads were too close and the compressor couldn't blow it into position on the rim.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain