Thread: Pushrod won’t fit

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Pushrod won’t fit

I put "eliminators" in once (these are solid little billets with a machined cup which drop in after you remove the hydraulic unit) and had to carefully grind a small dip on the circumference of the same rod's cup to allow the pushrod to squeeze in. I was using the original pushrods so they were all the same length. When I had the hydraulic units in place I had to push a wood or plastic (avoid scratching) rod down that unit to drain it of oil so it would very briefly compress a little more to engage rod, before it sucked up some more oil.

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    10.24 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TikTok View Post
    The kit I have uses only 2 lengths of pushrod. I perhaps should have made that a bit more explicit in the first post. Anyway @fast-lane is correct, I should see what is causing the problem, rather than working around the sympton.

Looks like I will be bringing the winter overhaul forward a couple of months.
    with the push rods removed have you got compression if so i would fit the pushrods and try first before a major strip down

nothing to loose ,,

then in the winter send off your heads to Alex to do his magic ,,

he done the shovel heads for me and bored and supplied low compression pistons (7-5)

the bike runs like i new one with very little vibration

john
    (old iron ass)

BMW R80GS winter hack
    1978 FLH80 SHOVELHEAD
    1950 EL hydra glide PANHEAD

Total Downloaded
    46.18 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devon.john View Post
    with the push rods removed have you got compression if so i would fit the pushrods and try first before a major strip down

nothing to loose ,,

then in the winter send off your heads to Alex to do his magic ,,

john
    Hi John - I can't fit the last pushrod, that's why I started the post!

Total Downloaded
    46.18 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P. View Post
    I put "eliminators" in once (these are solid little billets with a machined cup which drop in after you remove the hydraulic unit) and had to carefully grind a small dip on the circumference of the same rod's cup to allow the pushrod to squeeze in. I was using the original pushrods so they were all the same length. When I had the hydraulic units in place I had to push a wood or plastic (avoid scratching) rod down that unit to drain it of oil so it would very briefly compress a little more to engage rod, before it sucked up some more oil.
    Thanks Paul, I'm loath to get the dremel out and start grinding, until I know why the pushrod won't fit. (I don't have the same issue on my other shovel, which it running solid lifters).

Not sure I follow the story about the rod and the hydraulic lifter, or was that why you switched to solid lifter 'eliminators'?

Thanks

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it worth checking both intake valve rockers for comparison.
    i'm thinking sunken-seats, maybe a longer valve on the problematic side to cause the rocker to sit higher on the valve stem, lowering the pushrod-cup.
    does that make sense?
    i'm assuming you have no head-history here?
    use a pencil or something to push up into the rocker cup, seat the rocker on the valve stem and use a straight edge under the rocker-box pushrod entry to mark the pencil.
    compare both to see that they are both in the same place or very, very near each other?

Total Downloaded
    11.81 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hi Rich, don't blame you not wanting to rush to the grinder (I am also reluctant to use Grinder...) and your caution is wise. The bit about the hydraulic unit - if you push something non-scratchy up the thin tube at the bottom of the unit it will release the trapped oil and, very briefly, will let you compress the sprung cup a bit more than before. Once you have compressed it then it will draw up a tiny bit of oil and become resistant again.

I very much doubt this will apply to you but for others beginning their hands on ownership - one has to be sure the top of the rod is not fouling and has seated accurately.
    Last edited by Paul P.; 22-08-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12