Thread: Are HD Immobilisers Thatcham Approved?

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are HD Immobilisers Thatcham Approved?

I've just taken out motorcycle insurance with MCN and declared that my 2019 Road King has a factory fitted alarm and immobiliser, they have now emailed asking that I sign a declaration that it is Thatcham 1 approved but I can't find any info as to whether or not the immobiliser is, does anyone know please?

Do all insurers require this now? (it's been 7 years since I last had a bike)

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    154.18 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Are HD Immobilisers Thatcham Approved?

No it isn't. Just tell them it's manufacturer fitted. If they um and ah, point out they wouldn't make a fuss if it was a car alarm

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    No it isn't. Just tell them it's manufacturer fitted. If they um and ah, point out they wouldn't make a fuss if it was a car alarm
    Thanks. It's actually a bit confusing, on the covering letter it says I need to sign the declaration of Thatcham Approved Immobiliser - Category 1, but when you go to the actual form it just says Thatcham Approved. I have just heard back from my dealer who has informed me that they are Thatcham 2, therefore if I just need a Thatcham approved then I'm covered (going by what the dealer's said), but if it's Thatcham 1 then I'm not. Unfortunately the insurance customer service lines aren't open today

Total Downloaded
    154.18 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think your dealer is wrong.Approved motorcycles are either MC1, alarm and immobiliser or MC2, immobiliser only. The only manufacturers on the approved list (as of August 2019) are Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, MV, Suzuki and Yamaha. (see https://www.thatcham.org/wp-content/...st-2019-OE.pdf - page 43 onwards)

I would suggest you check with Thatcham yourself, rather than risk an insurance company wriggling out of a claim.

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I think your dealer is wrong.Approved motorcycles are either MC1, alarm and immobiliser or MC2, immobiliser only. The only manufacturers on the approved list (as of August 2019) are Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, MV, Suzuki and Yamaha. (see https://www.thatcham.org/wp-content/...st-2019-OE.pdf - page 43 onwards)

I would suggest you check with Thatcham yourself, rather than risk an insurance company wriggling out of a claim.
    OK thanks, I'll double check. I did manage to speak to the insurer today (phoned the quote line despite them saying not to) and they said they categorise a combined alarm/imobiliser the same as thatcham 1, however I did at the time tell them that the immobiliser was thatcham 2 so I'm still not 100% sure
    Last edited by snerkler; 08-09-2019 at 06:03 PM.