Thread: Road King 2019 - Heated Grips connection?

Total Downloaded

Road King 2019 - Heated Grips connection?

Looking at installing HD grips checked requirements via HD catalogue etc. and read installation guide etc. I have noted on a wiring diagram for a "Touring - Non Faired" models (I have a Road King FLHR 2019) that in the head light nacelle as you sit on the bike right hand side there is a Molex 4 pin plug. There are two wires entering at 1 & 4 according to the colour coding BN/Y (black/yellow) and V/BE (purple/blue). Following the diagram it is for a "Cooling Fan" (if fitted) as it is for all touring model harness (generic use), my RK does not have this fitted and I cannot fit on my bike anyway.
    Therefore my question is can I take my power supply from here instead of having to purchase the additional electrical connection harness (noted below) from HD which then runs from the battery as this seems pointless, the plug is on a switched circuit the grips will draw 3.5 amps where as a cooling fan if fitted would draw 4 amps.
    Appreciates someone view/s with perhaps fitting these grips and or with better electrical knowledge of HD wiring and potential issues.

HD grips 56100034 plus additional wiring harness 69201599A
    Wiring diagram used for this is via this link: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....60258081165344

Regards
    Just for info today 14/10/19 I picked up a feed using a SAE Y splitter on the battery tender feed behind the LH side cover to run a feed to the nachelle area for a SatNav installation/power supply, only downside of this for me is it's not on a switched circuit.
    Last edited by Harleyboy; 14-10-2019 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Corrections & update

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    2.04 MB

Re: Road King 2019 - Heated Grips connection?

As a note of caution, be wary of interrupting any of the Canbus network connections. The HD harness will, with depressing inevitably, be pricey but at least it'll be plug & play with no faffing about and unnecessary vehicle downtime.

Total Downloaded
    160.48 MB

Think the harness is £19.00.
    Thats what i paid for mine last year.

”It’s a form of madness you know, wearing your scarf in bed.”

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

Sadly I cannot help, I had the dealer install mine while doing the 5000 mile service, but my goodness they are a magnificent piece of kit. I cannot believe I was actually thinking about heated gloves, possibly wired to bike plug or w/ lithium battery in each glove. Such hassle.

Never had heated grips before, but they really make a surprising difference in winter riding. Even at $300 for the part and $350 for the fitting! But I really didn't feel like going in there myself....

I can't imagine who would use max setting 6 on these, I have to turn 'em back from 3 to 2 cos my hands get too hot at 65mph in temps of 8C (44F).

Total Downloaded

Thanks for responses so far, the Molex plug is part of the original Can-bus harness, currently the additional harness is £30.81 and then you still need to wire into the battery. So I'm thinking if there is already a power socket in this case a Molex then why not use it; not just to save money but also to reduce the hassle of running wiring under the tank etc.

Also I've just fitted a SAE Y splitter via the battery tender wire in the LH side panel which is what you can do according to the catalogue.

Cheers

Total Downloaded

heated grips, heated grips whats the world coming to whatever happended to a hand on the Rockerbox, up north when our fingers are cold we snap em off and carry on riding

Total Downloaded

Just a Southern softy I guess.

Total Downloaded

i will send some muffs down the knitted type you filthy minded lot