Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Amsoil Synthetic V-Twin 20w-50

Total Downloaded

Re: Amsoil Synthetic V-Twin 20w-50

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
    Check this video, on "Purging":
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0dd76MBwDg
    Interesting and worth doing!... he may have done a bit better to fill the filter first .... is it the same on a FXR? 10 pumps to get the new oil to the filter??..

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    58.34 MB

Hi John.

Thanks for that link to Old Hall Performance. The Evo's lube is heading my way with a decent discount.

Total Downloaded
    31.29 MB

I also have an '89 FXR,and I always fill the filter before fitting.I use Spectro 20/50, petroleum based semi synthetic oil because that's what the shop sells.Never had any problems with it.
    I'm not cynical,just experienced. NEVER TRUST ANYONE WHO WEARS A SUIT TO WORK.

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    I also have an '89 FXR,and I always fill the filter before fitting.I use Spectro 20/50, petroleum based semi synthetic oil because that's what the shop sells.Never had any problems with it.
    is yours at the back near the swing arm.. its easy to do in this location.. where as on the front flat, its a bit harder

Have you used the purge thing?.. is it 10 turns with ours?

Total Downloaded
    31.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by hog1340 View Post
    is yours at the back near the swing arm.. its easy to do in this location.. where as on the front flat, its a bit harder

Have you used the purge thing?.. is it 10 turns with ours?
    Yes,the filter is near the swing arm.Never done the purge thing.Don't know what it is.I'll have to watch the video.

Total Downloaded
    31.29 MB

I've just watched the video and I can see the benefit of doing it,but I'm sure that most people don't do it and never have any problems.

Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    Yes,the filter is near the swing arm.Never done the purge thing.Don't know what it is.I'll have to watch the video.
    well if you do, don't follow the instructions on there... I've worked out the oil pipes and our filters are on the return to the oil tank !

but that makes it easy TBH... drain all the oil and remove the filter. re-fit the drain pipe and re-fill the oil... put a pan under where the filter would be (the screw on base) and start the engine.

Sounds drastic right... well the oil does not move as fast as I thought it would..., it's like a very slow running tap... watch until the oil looks clear taking care not to let the oil in the tank fall below the inlet pipe level (TBH you'de have to run it on tickover for ages for that to happen if you'd filled it right up)... fill filter, screw on, top up oil and job done... I managed to get all 4 botels in mine, but was probably pumping new oil out for a bit before I realised... The oil coming out once flushed was full of bubbles and looked a bit like the old stuff?... may start another post on bubbles in return oil.... it was full of them.. looked beige in colour?.. do you get this??

Total Downloaded
    31.29 MB

How much oil is in each of the bottles you use? Oil change capacity on an FXR is 3 quarts(6 pints).The oil that I buy comes in quart bottles so I only need 3. The beige colour is probably because the oil is clean and I don't think that a bit of froth is anything to worry about.

Total Downloaded

hi John.. the bottles are a quart... but I did purge it and re-fill the filter... running it with the oil filter off and seeing how much comes back and its condition was kind of a shock...I thought there would be quite a fast flow but it's not at all... and the fact it looks milky as its so full of bubbles?... that said, the pressure warning light goes out and stays out for a second or two after switch off...
    but I have been reading about an 'O' ring that can fail, resulting in air getting pushed into the oil before it goes around the engine!.. wonder how you check that other than take the thing in bits?

Can you actualy see the oil return in your oil tank?... I can't in mine??
    Last edited by hog1340; 19-10-2019 at 04:43 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234