Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long is Harley battery supposed to last?

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How long is Harley battery supposed to last?

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
    Regulator failures are a big cause of battery issues, and regulators fail. A Lot.
    I never knew regulators were such a big problem, especially these days. Why do they fail so much?, I’ve never had a failure in a car.

After years of penny-pinching and trying to save 50 quid by buying a Yuasa or some other brand. They always seemed to last 2yrs or so.

I have heard, but never seen evidence, that H-D branded batteries (many believe them to be made by DEKA, who also supplied OEM batteries for Audi and other Continental cars) have superior built-in defences against voltage spikes caused by regulator/stator failure, a very common cause of H-D breakdowns.
    I read somewhere that Yuasa are made in USA and fitted as standard by Harley-Davidson. Obviously this isn’t the case as the cost of a branded battery from the dealers is approx £161, whereas a Yuasa battery is only half that price. Unless just paying for the brand/name (I’ve done that before).

Re. types of battery.. I’ve seen people mention Lithium-ion batteries which outperform everything else for power, weight and size. I’d rather stick with the original type of battery, leaving things as standard.

Batteries are the ONE thing I will always happily buy from a dealership.
    Think that’s the way I’m heading. Dealer told me they just had 10 delivered.

A battery that starts its working life at, say, 88% of fully charged, NEVER gets beyond 88% in its life. And its life is a bit shorter as a result. A wise man taught me that once.
    Well that’s interesting to know.. Thanks for the info. I’ll make sure to give it a good couple of days on the optimate first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    3.01 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kiwidave View Post
    It's a ''how long is a piece of string?'' question because on a Harley, battery life is not just down to the battery.

Regulator failures are a big cause of battery issues, and regulators fail. A Lot.

If the regulator is not limiting the amount of juice sent to the battery, the battery gets overcharged and cells die.

A bit like my brain cells did when i first tried to figure all this stuff nearly 20 years ago.

In my experience, since we all abandoned those horrible lead-acid batteries with overflow tubes and top-up cells, the sealed H-D batteries are as good as you can get. Maybe others are just as good. Dunno.

I used the H-D ones on my FXEF (sold) and won't use anything else on my Shovelhead (still got). After years of penny-pinching and trying to save 50 quid by buying a Yuasa or some other brand. They always seemed to last 2yrs or so.

I have heard, but never seen evidence, that H-D branded batteries (many believe them to be made by DEKA, who also supplied OEM batteries for Audi and other Continental cars) have superior built-in defences against voltage spikes caused by regulator/stator failure, a very common cause of H-D breakdowns.

Interestingly, since adding an extra ground cable from regulator body to ground (and not just relying on the mounting bolts/washers to ground the body 100%), I have never had a regulator failure. And, in related news, only one battery replacement in the last 8-9 years.

Just a thought.

Batteries are the ONE thing I will always happily buy from a dealership.

But they are NEVER ''fully charged and ready to go, mate''. Never. I always take a multimeter with me when buying a battery (yeah, not often) and prove that statement wrong right there at the counter.

48hrs of trickle charging first.

There's another tip. A battery that starts its working life at, say, 88% of fully charged, NEVER gets beyond 88% in its life. And its life is a bit shorter as a result. A wise man taught me that once.
    Hi Dave, here's a new twist on charging a brand new battery I recently found. About six years ago I bought a new AGM battery for my 1980 Sportster. It came with instructions which said DO NOT charge before use, fit and use. I did this and it gave me about six years before dying with little notice. As it has to fit in a confined space I replaced it with exactly the same thing but this time it had no instructions so I looked on line and found the same "do not" charge advice.

I did this but before fitting I put a meter across it and got a reading of12.75 V which is 93.15 of fully charged (chart downloaded from web )
    Three days later I checked again (bike had not been ridden ) and got the same reading.
    I then rode 35 miles with two starts and then three days later the reading was 12.84 V....99.9% of charge. Up by 0.9 V.
    Three days later it's down to 12.81V....97.7 % I then rode 27 miles with 2 starts.
    Eight days later (it makes a change from 3 days ) its reading 12.76V....93.9 %, still just up from it's start reading.
    Then some more running about with figures up and down.
    Next was the Poker Run (excellent event ). This is a 108 mile run there with 15 miles on Saturday and 108 back on Sunday.
    After 27 hours resting it read 12.90 V which is104.6 % of charge. How you get over 100% I do not know, if you do please tell.
    And so it goes on with readings above and below 100%
    I have done a load test with the lights and ignition on for 30 seconds resulting in a stable reading of 12.17 V....49.4%. It came back to 12.70 V....89.4 % after a few minuets.
    Since then it has been up to 12.81 V....97.7 % one week after a 93 mile round trip with two stops.

With the change from lead acid to AGM battery's it looks as if a new battery will go above its start voltage.
    I'm finding this more and more as I get older, the technologies and information I used to be sure of have changed and that which I used to know is no longer true.
    I say bring back hot tube ignition.

Ron.
    Last edited by Ron; 02-11-2019 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Total Downloaded
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replaced my softail battery after 13years but I do ride the bike all year

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wilkyman View Post
    My 2014 Heritage is also on the original battery but, as I reported before on here, I had a starting issue but only when warm, when I restarted after a short while - petrol stations or the like.
    When it plays up, it pauses, gives a loud clunk and "re-sets" my fuel gauge to "Lo Range" or "loses" 25-30 miles from the range setting!
    Seems to settle down after a while but it's disconcerting to say the least!
    This is exactly what mine has been doing, it usually returns to normal fuel reading within a few seconds; but since starting the bike multiple times whilst testing, the fuel level gauge is stuck on Lo Range. Probably sort itself out when moving again or when new battery installed.

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long is Harley battery supposed to last?

Well, I got new battery from the dealers today, not fitted it yet but no rush as not going anywhere in all this crappy weather.

The accompanying instruction sheet shows a voltmeter test table. “Battery condition voltmeter test”.

12.7v = 100% charge
    12.6v = 75% charge
    12.3v = 50% charge
    12.0v = 25% charge
    11.8v = 0% Zero/Flat

An online version of the instruction sheet is available at:-
    https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....US#d728723e133

Last edited by Psycho; 05-11-2019 at 01:48 AM.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting reading Ron, and you may be right. I won't change my habits though ;-)

Psycho, that's good info. The modern sealed AGM batteries are 100% at a slightly lower voltage than the old days when we were looking for 12.9 or 13.

You might find that on a tip-top new one such as yours, if you trickle charge it for 24 or 48hrs it might show 13 volts for a couple of days......

Total Downloaded
    29.27 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    This is exactly what mine has been doing, it usually returns to normal fuel reading within a few seconds; but since starting the bike multiple times whilst testing, the fuel level gauge is stuck on Lo Range. Probably sort itself out when moving again or when new battery installed.

It'll be interesting to see whether the new battery gets rid of it. Mine is always on the trickle charger by the way.

Total Downloaded
    11.13 MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 2007 softail custom & still original battery i also use an optimate .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123