Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long is Harley battery supposed to last?

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB

Re: How long is Harley battery supposed to last?

Quote Originally Posted by BaZa View Post
    Firstly read this thread.
    http://www.harley-davidson-hangout.c...ight=Voltmeter

The higher the crank setting is the way to go this one you show is only 315 CCA I'd try and get one with at least 350 CCA.

I have bought from these guys in the past, highly recommended.
    https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/exide/
    I read that thread.. very informative. I had a look on the Tayna website, the one that they recommended for my bike is..
    518 901 026 VARTA POWERSPORTS AGM MOTORCYCLE BATTERY - REPLACES YTX20L-BS

But this only has 270CCA! The one at Halfords had 310CCA.

Apparently the standard battery is YTX20L-BS the Halfords one I found is YTX20HL-BS.. note the H for higher capacity of 310CCA vs 270CCA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Join the Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Replaced my 6 year old battery in January, as Kev already stated, 6 years ain't bad and yes I use a battery tender in winter.
    Do you ride often? Do you put your bike away for winter?

I wrongly assumed that the more often a battery is used to start the bike the quicker it would wear out because of the load and drain keep being applied. But apparently its the other way around.

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Leadbelly View Post
    I have a 2006 FXSTI and it is still on the original battery.
    13 years.. that’s a long time. Is your bike electric start?

Total Downloaded
    409.10 MB

How long is Harley battery supposed to last?

Just done some testing. I unplugged it from the optimate and took some readings...

The multimeter reads 13.25v with everything switched off and 12.58v with the ignition switched on. When the starter button is pressed and the engine is cranking the voltage drops to around 9.8v. All connections etc look tight so it looks like a new battery is needed.

Total Downloaded
    40.75 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
    Just done some testing. I unplugged it from the optimate and took some readings...

The multimeter reads 13.25v with everything switched off and 12.58v with the ignition switched on. When the starter button is pressed and the engine is cranking the voltage drops to around 9.8v. All connections etc look tight so it looks like a new battery is needed.

You are probably right; but the bike is six years old, so I would still be minded to remove, clean and re-tighten the earth connections.
    Much less involved.....

Total Downloaded
    1.74 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BaZa View Post
    I have bought from these guys in the past, highly recommended.
    https://www.tayna.co.uk/motorcycle-batteries/exide/
    That's where I go for bike and car batteries too - I've used them about 6 times. I like the wide choice you get for each vehicle. I only use AGM batteries, as that type is far superior to the conventional ones.

Total Downloaded
    12.20 MB

I've only used Tanya once but it was an encouraging experience - they queried my battery choice and gave sound technical reasons to suggest a slightly dearer but clearly better suited choice and delivered very prompt.

Total Downloaded
    107.69 MB

I got 10 years out of my original battery. I researched and found out that the Batteries from Tanya are made by the same people as the original factory fitment. I went with the one they suggested for my model.

It was about £100 cheaper than what I was quoted from a HD dealer, and delivered free next day fully charged. Straight forward fit, it's been on since 2013. If it goes tits up now, I haven't lost anything, but it's still going well.

Brian.
    100 Anniversary Road King Classic.

Anglia Region 15 member.

My old man always said if it has tits or tyres...it'll be trouble...and he was right.

Total Downloaded
    109.89 MB

It's a ''how long is a piece of string?'' question because on a Harley, battery life is not just down to the battery.

Regulator failures are a big cause of battery issues, and regulators fail. A Lot.

If the regulator is not limiting the amount of juice sent to the battery, the battery gets overcharged and cells die.

A bit like my brain cells did when i first tried to figure all this stuff nearly 20 years ago.

In my experience, since we all abandoned those horrible lead-acid batteries with overflow tubes and top-up cells, the sealed H-D batteries are as good as you can get. Maybe others are just as good. Dunno.

I used the H-D ones on my FXEF (sold) and won't use anything else on my Shovelhead (still got). After years of penny-pinching and trying to save 50 quid by buying a Yuasa or some other brand. They always seemed to last 2yrs or so.

I have heard, but never seen evidence, that H-D branded batteries (many believe them to be made by DEKA, who also supplied OEM batteries for Audi and other Continental cars) have superior built-in defences against voltage spikes caused by regulator/stator failure, a very common cause of H-D breakdowns.

Interestingly, since adding an extra ground cable from regulator body to ground (and not just relying on the mounting bolts/washers to ground the body 100%), I have never had a regulator failure. And, in related news, only one battery replacement in the last 8-9 years.

Just a thought.

Batteries are the ONE thing I will always happily buy from a dealership.

But they are NEVER ''fully charged and ready to go, mate''. Never. I always take a multimeter with me when buying a battery (yeah, not often) and prove that statement wrong right there at the counter.

48hrs of trickle charging first.

There's another tip. A battery that starts its working life at, say, 88% of fully charged, NEVER gets beyond 88% in its life. And its life is a bit shorter as a result. A wise man taught me that once.
    Last edited by kiwidave; 29-10-2019 at 02:57 AM.

Total Downloaded
    29.27 MB

My 2014 Heritage is also on the original battery but, as I reported before on here, I had a starting issue but only when warm, when I restarted after a short while - petrol stations or the like.
    When it plays up, it pauses, gives a loud clunk and "re-sets" my fuel gauge to "Lo Range" or "loses" 25-30 miles from the range setting!
    Seems to settle down after a while but it's disconcerting to say the least!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast